Ford Truck Fanatics  

Home Gallery TOTM New Posts My Threads / My Replies Links Sponsors Calendar Arcade Calculators Fliers
Go Back   Ford Truck Fanatics > F-Series > Generation 6

Generation 6 1973-1979 F100, F150, F250, F350

Old 12-22-2016, 12:04 PM
Charter Member

CowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond reputeCowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond reputeCowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond reputeCowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond reputeCowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond reputeCowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond reputeCowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond reputeCowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond reputeCowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond reputeCowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond reputeCowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond repute
I don't know your specific vehicle but over the years I have seen some 100% stock, as-built, and unmolested vehicles with just one timing mark showing, and that one mark is not necessarily nor automatically to be assumed as 0* but rather, it's the OEM mark for what the OEM timing spec is (ie, might be 0*, might be +12*, it could be anything). The manufacturer *probably* did this so as to eliminate confusion and make it easy for the guy servicing it to get it right. Thoughts and suggestion, try to get your hands on a service manual for your vehicle and see if this is the case. I'd want to know if the parts that create that timing mark you have now (balancer, etc) are OEM for that engine. If not, I'd bet there are solutions for it, just as there were for SBC's long ago where people swapped timing chain covers and balancers, and ended up with no or invalid timing marks. And even if they are correct, down the road you might be interested in altering the base timing and knowing what you set it at, and again, based on what I just noted, there might be a simple, cheap part you can add to do this.

Ford FSM >> Chilton >>>>>> Haynes

-Life is far too short to be serious all the time. So if you can't stop and laugh at yourself along the way, give me a call and I'll do it for you.

04 Ranger Fx4 Level II, 5R55E, Sonic Blue Pearl, loaded.

Useful Ford Vehicle Resources:

Owners Manuals >>> http://www.fleet.ford.com/partsandse...owner-manuals/
Build Information (click on "vehicle") >>> https://www.etis.ford.com/
Wiring schematics and TSB's (click on "technical information") >>> http://bbbind.com/
Repair guides, includes schematics w/connector pinouts >>> http://www.autozone.com/repairinfo/r...nfoLanding.jsp

Last edited by CowboyBilly9Mile; 12-22-2016 at 12:12 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-22-2016, 06:29 PM
Tonto Papadapolous

fatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond repute
Can you post a picture? That would help define what you have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by john112deere
I think the lens of time is required to differentiate between the real milestones, and the detours along the way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrxlh View Post
Strippers, ammo and SKS, wow, that is almost sig worthy!!
Old 12-22-2016, 07:30 PM

cbaker65 has a reputation beyond reputecbaker65 has a reputation beyond reputecbaker65 has a reputation beyond reputecbaker65 has a reputation beyond reputecbaker65 has a reputation beyond reputecbaker65 has a reputation beyond reputecbaker65 has a reputation beyond reputecbaker65 has a reputation beyond reputecbaker65 has a reputation beyond reputecbaker65 has a reputation beyond reputecbaker65 has a reputation beyond repute
When me & my dad rebuilt are 78 1 ton ,we didn't have a timing light ,however ,we had set are timing at just were the starter wouldn't drag
when starting the engine ,so we had just advanced the dist. as soon as the
starter started easy.
When we did put it on a light ,it was only a couple deg. off.

Im not a bum,Im on vacation!....
Old 12-24-2016, 09:37 AM

Chayse is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbaker65 View Post
When me & my dad rebuilt are 78 1 ton ,we didn't have a timing light ,however ,we had set are timing at just were the starter wouldn't drag
when starting the engine ,so we had just advanced the dist. as soon as the
starter started easy.
When we did put it on a light ,it was only a couple deg. off.
That's what I have done for now. Seems to be okay for the time being but I now have a vacume leak to take care of before I start tuning it again. Also the truck has a 351m with a 2150 motorcraft carb auto c6 trans no Ac just about as basic as it gets of that helps. I do have a repair book for my truck it's at my dads so I will have a look at it this weekend or week sometime and figure it out. Also any one hear of timing using vacume pulled from the intake I think I read some where that it could be done.
Old 12-24-2016, 10:31 AM

cbaker65 has a reputation beyond reputecbaker65 has a reputation beyond reputecbaker65 has a reputation beyond reputecbaker65 has a reputation beyond reputecbaker65 has a reputation beyond reputecbaker65 has a reputation beyond reputecbaker65 has a reputation beyond reputecbaker65 has a reputation beyond reputecbaker65 has a reputation beyond reputecbaker65 has a reputation beyond reputecbaker65 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chayse View Post
That's what I have done for now. Seems to be okay for the time being but I now have a vacume leak to take care of before I start tuning it again. Also the truck has a 351m with a 2150 motorcraft carb auto c6 trans no Ac just about as basic as it gets of that helps. I do have a repair book for my truck it's at my dads so I will have a look at it this weekend or week sometime and figure it out. Also any one hear of timing using vacume pulled from the intake I think I read some where that it could be done.
One spot you might want to check for vac. leak ,is the brake booster
grommet ,they tend to get weather crack an leak.

I just rubbed a little RTV on the piece that slides into the grommet
on mine!...

Old 12-24-2016, 11:17 AM
Charter Member

CowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond reputeCowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond reputeCowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond reputeCowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond reputeCowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond reputeCowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond reputeCowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond reputeCowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond reputeCowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond reputeCowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond reputeCowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond repute
* FWIW, back in the day I'd always advance timing until I heard a knock, then back it off until there was maybe at most, an occasional and very slight knock. The timing light then told me where it was at.

* The correct vacuum to be applied to the vacuum advance on the distributor is ported vacuum (this because, using the proper ported vacuum results in a vacuum that is numerically decreasing when the throttle is opened and thus, advances the timing; using manifold vacuum would do the exact opposite). Whomever posted on the internet something about running the vacuum advance hose from the distributor to a tap on the intake seems to prefer vacuum retardation when they step on it, not vacuum advance, because.....that's what they now have. Someone done it very wrong.

-Life is far too short to be serious all the time. So if you can't stop and laugh at yourself along the way, give me a call and I'll do it for you.

Wiring schematics and TSB's (click on "technical information") >>> http://bbbind.com/
Repair guides, includes schematics w/connector pinouts >>> http://www.autozone.com/repairinfo/r...nfoLanding.jsp

Last edited by CowboyBilly9Mile; 12-24-2016 at 11:26 AM.
Old 12-24-2016, 06:13 PM

I probably should clarify that my vacume advance is hooked up as it should be but I mean adjusting the base timing using a vacume gauge also I picked up my repair book and will be working on the truck tomorrow hopefully I get my vacume leak solved and then I could re set the carb since it is probably a bit lean and go take my truck for a quick Christmas drive
Old 12-25-2016, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chayse View Post
I probably should clarify that my vacume advance is hooked up as it should be but I mean adjusting the base timing using a vacume gauge also I picked up my repair book and will be working on the truck tomorrow hopefully I get my vacume leak solved and then I could re set the carb since it is probably a bit lean and go take my truck for a quick Christmas drive
You also might check the vacc. line that goes down to the trans. as
well ,sometimes they get weathered an cracked an start leaking!...

I'm quite sure you will figure these things out once you start digging into
it!....

Old 12-25-2016, 07:26 PM

Good news for today so far I've fixed all vacume leaks got it timed which I found that mark to be where factory timing was or at least it seems to run the best set where the mark is. Also it idles nice and smooth and starts right up. I do however need to play with my choke adjustment and have finally found where my power steering fix has leaked again so I will be fixing that this week but it runs great so I can start to move one fixing other items with the goal of painting it this spring.

One thing is going to set me back for awhile and that would be my f250 losing 4wheel drive. Transfer case engages and everything but I know this fall my hubs were starting to go so I guess now that they no longer work why not fix them. Should have done that when it was warm out
Old 12-25-2016, 07:33 PM
Charter Member

Over the years, two people I know have lost cars in fiery infernos caused old power steering hoses leaking and spraying fluid onto the exhaust manifold. They didn't believe that a hose with a large amount of pressure in it could break due to old age, cracking, rot and fatigre, despite my warning. Something to think about. Same with any pressurized rubber fuel line (which surely wasn't OEM); food for thought.

Edit: add to the list, the rubber brake lines.

Last edited by CowboyBilly9Mile; 12-25-2016 at 07:35 PM.

Tags
6th gen, f150, ford