Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Stalling after Warm-up

I have searched but could' find anything quite like my truck's symptoms. I don't drive the truck that often as it's just a go to the lumber yard, dump, etc. kind of truck. Anyway, it starts up fine with high revs. If I shut a her down I'll have difficulty re-starting u till it cools down. The last time I drove it I went about mile and it would not start again until cool down. The truck is a '87 with a 351 and a carb. I don't know if it has three fuel pumps;the only one I can find is on the block. I know it's is a '87 but the other forum dedicated to '87 and up is all about EFI engines. I hope someone can help as this is driving me nuts and I'm think that trip is coming to an end! Thanks.

SuperCab

Staff member
Montana
Could be the duraspark box... I don't know the specifics of the carb'd 1987s but I assume they have issues with the ignition module box like the older ones did.

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
I have searched but could' find anything quite like my truck's symptoms. I don't drive the truck that often as it's just a go to the lumber yard, dump, etc. kind of truck. Anyway, it starts up fine with high revs. If I shut a her down I'll have difficulty re-starting u till it cools down. The last time I drove it I went about mile and it would not start again until cool down. The truck is a '87 with a 351 and a carb. I don't know if it has three fuel pumps;the only one I can find is on the block. I know it's is a '87 but the other forum dedicated to '87 and up is all about EFI engines. I hope someone can help as this is driving me nuts and I'm think that trip is coming to an end! Thanks.

If there is a fuel pump on the block, then that is the only pump there is. You might also want to check the coil, since a failing coil will exhibit the same symptons.

jebadiah04

Rooster Snorkler
I'd check coil too. Have it tested at a parts house but make em testis a few times to warm it up.

jebadiah04

Rooster Snorkler
Or...ignition module.

Not sure where yours is. Deen them do that too

I'll have the coil tested as suggested. However, wouldn't the coil get it hot if it was failing? Thanks for the suggestions.

Well the coil is perfect; giving great spark. I assume the ignition module is working as well then. So... the truck starts up no problem but I sometimes have to keep my foot on the gas so it doesn't stall and when it does stall it won't re-fire. I'm thinking perhaps fuel pressure but why would it start up in the first place? Is the engine flooding? How would I check that? The carb was professionally re-built about four years ago but I hardly drive the truck so the mileage on that carb would be less than 1000. Any further suggestions Ford gurus? Thanks.

Beach66Bum

Top Poster Of Month
Well the coil is perfect; giving great spark. I assume the ignition module is working as well then. So... the truck starts up no problem but I sometimes have to keep my foot on the gas so it doesn't stall and when it does stall it won't re-fire. I'm thinking perhaps fuel pressure but why would it start up in the first place? Is the engine flooding? How would I check that? The carb was professionally re-built about four years ago but I hardly drive the truck so the mileage on that carb would be less than 1000. Any further suggestions Ford gurus? Thanks.

A couple of checks you can do. See if you are getting a good flow of gas to the carb. Disconnect the fuel line at the base of the carb, use a glass jar to collect the gas that will come out the line. Pull the coil wire off the coil and get a friend to crank over the engine for 5-10 seconds. Should see a good flow of gas filling the jar. You may have an internal issue with the float or flow needle from the carb sitting. When you look inside the carb while moving the throttle linkage, you should see gas squirting out into the venturi.

I went to check if gas was getting to the carb via the throttle and then check the fuel supply from the pump. But when I removed the top of the air cleaner I saw something unusual. The top of the carb had an oily film. I checked the crankcase breather filter and it was thoroughly soaked in oil. A quick cleaning in some old gas, dry and reinstall. Started right up, idle well and then kicked down well, ran it under load a while. Didn't stall out. Restarted right away three or four times. So I think th eproblem is solved though I guess I should have checked the filter earlier as the engine seemed get smothered. The original coil did get hotter than a 44 so I replaced that any way. Now I have to find out why so much oil in the filter. I hope it doesn't need rings/ bore!!!!! Oh well it's running well for now. Thanks for all the advice.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts