Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

approaching the 100,000 mile engine

warranty on the 2011 Super Duty. The motor still runs strong and it certainly is a kick to occasionally blow some unsuspecting sucker off the road while towing a loaded trailer. That engine/tranny is the best thing Ford ever did imho. Those pesky exhaust sensors have been the only issues with the truck except it is a bit soft in the front corners during turns at speed.

My question is: Are there engine components that should be replaced before they go bad on there own? I am referring to the glow plug discussion in particular. It would seem changing a thousand dollars worth of parts to save 10s of thousands to not have a destroyed engine would be prudent.

What components should be replaced as preventative maintenance?

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Hopefully Vince (Blacksnapon) sees this and can offer some insight.

blacksnapon

Staff member
There's redesigned glow plugs, and EGT sensors that are the most common. Other than that, we haven't had many problems with them. Keep maintenance up, always add cetane boost every tank. That's the best advice I can give at this point.

There's redesigned glow plugs, and EGT sensors that are the most common. Other than that, we haven't had many problems with them. Keep maintenance up, always add cetane boost every tank. That's the best advice I can give at this point.

Vince, there is at least one Ford Diesel tech that recommends changing the glow plugs to the redesigned part, I take it you agree with that?

blacksnapon

Staff member
Yep, that's why the redesign. Altogether, the plugs are the same length, but the length from the seat to the end is shorter.

Ford Truck Articles