Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

exhaust pipe options?...

Hi guys. Hope you all are having a great weekend so far. Had a great conversation with two young guys from where I work. Both are car fanatics and one owns a Bowtie truck. They just love to look at my dent and talk trucks and possible modifications. Good to know that there are young people out there who appreciate vintage!
One of the things I would like to do to my dent is have headers installed and new slightly wider exhaust pipes (cab lights not so much...:):):)). But the question I have is that do pipe tips look good in front of the rear wheels or is there a reason that most are located behind the rear wheels? Here is a photo of what I have in mind. Any input is greatly appreciated!

Donald

Attachments

• side pipes.jpg

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
Pipes have to exit behind the cab. Other than that, it is a personal choice. I'm a believer in, "the farther back, the better."

SuperCab

Staff member
Montana
Well factory location was of course behind the wheel... It will be quieter in the cab that way. Lots of guys that do the exit ahead of the wheel are just trying to save a buck... The bend over the axle is comparatively expensive. If you like the look go for it! There's no serious drawbacks that I can think of

Fellro

Staff member
Other than any exhaust deposits on the wheels, which of course on a properly running gas engine shouldn't be an issue. My old man did turn down in front of the axle, no side discharge on his 84 diesel, left soot on the axle and bumper...

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
My plan is to bring them both out the same side in front of the rear wheel, but the truck is not a daily driver. If it was, I would go as far back as I could.

Thanks for all of the replies!! I think I would agree that it would be louder if the pipes were in front. I plan to use this truck to pull a small camping trailer someday so it would make more sense to put them behind the rear wheels.
Dual exhaust, all around!! :)

Beach66Bum

Top Poster Of Month
Oh come on, you'll love the roof cab lights at dusk, lol!
Here is the exhaust I had on my Old Orange 250. Had BBK stainless shorty headers with true dual exhaust. Pipes were 2 1/4".
IMG_1568.JPG

IMG_1567.JPG

Last edited:

Jasperrc

Texas Chapter member
Ours runs all the way to the rear dumping out under the rear bumper. Looks great IMO but I do feel a little bad for folks that sit behind it at a railroad crossing or long light. Even though the motor is tuned well, they get the exhaust right in to the front of their vehicle. Lot's of folks around here have figured that out and don't sit too close behind smilietease.

Attachments

• Chassis-RearBumper01.jpg
Hi Russell. Thanks for the photo! I am not sure when but my plans are to put a clamp-on roll-up tonneau cover and a hitch on this truck so I can pull a small camping trailer. My wife and I love camping and hiking so this truck will work great for that. Most likely something like a small pop-up. With that said, we will be driving some distances so the pipes out the back (like yours) makes good sense. I think the pipe size right now is 2 inches. I will most likely go up to 2.25 inches or so. Not sure what mufflers I will get. I like some rumble (260 V8 after all :)) but not overly loud. I am taking the truck in to my mechanic in two weeks. Still burning some oil and the diagnosis is valve seals.:(
But after I get it back it should be good as new. The engine was rebuilt in 2010 but I think this truck sat in a garage for some time. That is the way I figure...

Donald.

Jasperrc

Texas Chapter member
Whatever route you go, be sure to keep us posted and of course pics are always welcome:)

How much is it going to cost you for valve seals?

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts