Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Window tint

SuperCab

Staff member
Montana
So this is a topic that I'm not at all well versed in and have had little interest in previously... but damn if the sun doesn't seem to cook the shit out of me even with the ac on lately. (Yes the ac is fine, even checked it with a vent thermometer) So I've been looking into getting the windows tinted some. Really can't decide how dark to go... I'd rather err on the side of lighter though, have no desire for limo windows. The stock rear windows are about 20% from what I've found elsewhere online but it's just dyed glass with no heat or UV rejection qualities so it seems many people do the rears too even if they don't necessarily want them darker. 25% is the legal max for front windows in Montana from what I can tell, and I'd just as soon keep it legal. 25% still seems pretty damn dark though? Also am seriously considering doing the whole windshield after reading about it but that is not legal here... not that I've ever heard of anyone getting harassed about it

Suggestions? Advice? Insults? Let me know :rofl:

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
Other than insults, I have nothing. :D

Actually, the side windows on the Not Ford were broken out by some thieves in Seattle. I had the windows replaced with non tinted because that was all they had, and I needed to get them replaced before I drove back home. The original windows were pretty heavily tinted and came that way from the factory. We could tell a night and day difference when driving home in the sun with no tint.

I did get the original windows with tinting reinstalled, and, once again, it was a night and day difference.

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
So this is a topic that I'm not at all well versed in and have had little interest in previously... but damn if the sun doesn't seem to cook the shit out of me even with the ac on lately. (Yes the ac is fine, even checked it with a vent thermometer) So I've been looking into getting the windows tinted some. Really can't decide how dark to go... I'd rather err on the side of lighter though, have no desire for limo windows. The stock rear windows are about 20% from what I've found elsewhere online but it's just dyed glass with no heat or UV rejection qualities so it seems many people do the rears too even if they don't necessarily want them darker. 25% is the legal max for front windows in Montana from what I can tell, and I'd just as soon keep it legal. 25% still seems pretty damn dark though? Also am seriously considering doing the whole windshield after reading about it but that is not legal here... not that I've ever heard of anyone getting harassed about it

Suggestions? Advice? Insults? Let me know :rofl:

the percentage is the amount of light the tint lets through the windows... most states for the windshield regulate tint cant be placed lower than the AS1 line unless you get a medical waiver stating you need it completely covered... (which is hard to get)... the higher that number the less light they block..

for montana the front 2 side windows can be no darker than 24% and the rear can all be done to 14%.. the front windshield is unregulated as far as darkness goes provided it doesnt go below the AS1..

for your privacy windows in the back (what they called those factory darkened windows) they do make a clear "tint" to be applied to those windows thatll reflect the heat rays back instead of letting them through and heating the vehicles... 3m calls it their crystalline series... supposed to block out 97% of the suns heat rays... the only issue with tinting the privacy tinted windows is they stress the glass more than they do the clear windows (which ironically theyre all tinted a bit but your getting what im referring to)...

this is the 35% i had done on the mustang...

387056_388368561216630_1343728427_n.jpg

unfortunately va required that the front 2 windows be no darker than 50%

486569_388368781216608_627104882_n.jpg

but you can see they still made a bit of a difference in the privacy...

295576_467983373255148_467477545_n.jpg

thats looking through the 50% there... which the tint i got both darkened the window and had the crystalline stuff mixed into the tint... so if your wearing polarized sunglasses youll get that rainbow effect you see in the window there... theres times i wish those windows were darker which now residing in NC i could have them redone to be 35% as well... even looking out the rear window at night isnt bad... but get annoyingly blinded still through the side windows when i have someone behind me with their high beams on...

but can tell you the benefits of being tinted really helps with cooling off the vehicle... itll still be hot when you first get in.. but the effects of the AC works 1000% better.. what helped additionally with the stang was i added the rear window louvers back there too so it really helps with blocking the sun out of that big picture window back there...and since the windshield was unregulated i have 5% up there down to the as1 line in both the truck and the stang... while the tint i put there wasnt thermal it helps a bit with the sun glare when its up in that area..

and yes the cops will pull you over for having the whole windshield tinted.. in VA they also loved to pull you over to check the darkess of your tint on the side windows... mainly because VA required 50% for the 2 front ones... friend of mine did 5% all the way around on his (and yes you can see the difference when driving past those people) and it he was always getting ticketed for the tint...

Last edited:

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
Sparky covered it pretty good
Keep in mind all glass has a slight tint, so that counts towards the total tint.

Also, never wash or clean tint with any product containing ammonia. it will damage the tint.
You have see the cars go by looks like bubbles from a bubble machine, or purple/pink windows. Yup. ammonia cleaners.

& don't put mirror tint on them, or we will all make fun of you, and use lenny1carl's snow blower to shoot dog turds at your truck

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
Sparky covered it pretty good
Keep in mind all glass has a slight tint, so that counts towards the total tint.

Also, never wash or clean tint with any product containing ammonia. it will damage the tint.
You have see the cars go by looks like bubbles from a bubble machine, or purple/pink windows. Yup. ammonia cleaners.

some of those bubble are also from crappy tint jobs as well.. either from places they had it done cheaply or they did it at home themselfs... but yes ammonia will strip the tint off the windows... its eats the glue that keeps it stuck to the window... and you dont want to roll the windows down for the first 48 hrs or you risk the tint coming off before its set...

Windex is a biggie for having ammonia in them... thats why i always clean my windows with straight water... i dont use any kind of cleaners to clean them off just water in a spray bottle and a nice squeegee...

Ford Truck Articles