Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Engine swap

Hey guys...... I have a 1978 f150 4x4....it has a bad 400 motor in it and was wanting to drop a 460 in......will the 460 bolt on the c6 tranny that's already in the truck

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Yes and one of our site Sponsors , Left Eye Blind makes engine adaptors for that swap. I think you also have to use the flywheel off the 460

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
That is what the engine adaptors are for :)

BuzzGun79

Nov.TOTM 2012 / 2012 TOTY
I used the engine mounts manufacured by L&L their made specifically for the 460 swap and she'll drop right in the stock perches...and their guranteed for life

BuzzGun79

460_block_prep_005.JPG

460_block_prep_004.JPG

Hopefully these will help you

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
As are the ones from LEB and as noted, they support our site :)

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Sorry Duncan....I meant no harm for your cause! They were just what i used and came to mind is all...:)

No sweat....I know L and L makes good stuff, just trying to promote the little guy here :)

BuzzGun79

Doug quoted ..Is there a difference between 460 2WD and 460 4WD, as to whether or not it will fit?

I used a rear sump oil pan and pump on a 4wd truck and it was a F250...A front sump pan will interfear with the front differential on a F-150 (unless its got a 6" lift)...Now keep in mind rear sump pans are hard to find in the aftermarket...But the 75 & newer Econoline 460 Vans had them.you will also need the rear oil pump sump pickup screen.and the crank stud bolt that holds the tube in place...along with an rear sump dipstick tube....i believe that covers it

Last edited:

BuzzGun79

Doug quoted Thank you, Buzz. I was thinking about a possible difference in length of the tailshaft.

yes Doug there is adifference the 2wd C-6 tailshaft must be interchanged with a 4wd unit shaft in short along with the tailstock...i went through this during my build..

Ford Truck Articles