Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Transmission Fluid Change

Guys, I am pretty new here. Aside from a few posts previously while I was in the process of getting my truck, all I have been doing is reading a lot on these forums.

I finally got a truck and thanks to many of you guys for looking up Oasis reports and also offering great suggestions I purchased a 2006 F-250 Lariat with 44K miles on it.

I will definately take some picks when I get home and put them up tonight.

In the mean time while I am at work, I was wondering if you all could offer some advice on changing the transmission fluid. Please tell me if I am correct or not.

I have been doing some research and everything I pretty much read says that there is no need for changing the transmission filter at all. It will essentially last the lifetime of the transmission. Now if this is so, I am moving to the other issue.

I am looking for Mercon SP Motorcraft transmission fluid but non of the local autoparts stores around me carry it. Is there an equivalent? What should I use?

If I missed something, please let me know.

blacksnapon

Staff member
Guys, I am pretty new here. Aside from a few posts previously while I was in the process of getting my truck, all I have been doing is reading a lot on these forums.

I finally got a truck and thanks to many of you guys for looking up Oasis reports and also offering great suggestions I purchased a 2006 F-250 Lariat with 44K miles on it.

I will definately take some picks when I get home and put them up tonight.

In the mean time while I am at work, I was wondering if you all could offer some advice on changing the transmission fluid. Please tell me if I am correct or not.

I have been doing some research and everything I pretty much read says that there is no need for changing the transmission filter at all. It will essentially last the lifetime of the transmission. Now if this is so, I am moving to the other issue.

I am looking for Mercon SP Motorcraft transmission fluid but non of the local autoparts stores around me carry it. Is there an equivalent? What should I use?

If I missed something, please let me know.
The torqueshift trans has a "toilet paper" filter by the radiator on the passenger side. That one should be changed. At this point, Ford is the only place to get mercon sp fluid. Dont be tempted to substitute.

The torqueshift trans has a "toilet paper" filter by the radiator on the passenger side. That one should be changed. At this point, Ford is the only place to get mercon sp fluid. Dont be tempted to substitute.

So what you are saying is go to a Ford dealership and get the fluid there...

Actually I just called and its not that bad. I believe that its 17.5 quarts?

Last edited:
I buy my tranny fluid at k-mans parts .com, cheapest I have found!

Number of quarts?

If I plan on just changing the external filter and the fluid in the pan, does anyone know how many quarts that will take? Someone told me it would be about eight quarts but I am not sure and I wanted to get your input.

Thanks

blacksnapon

Staff member
If I plan on just changing the external filter and the fluid in the pan, does anyone know how many quarts that will take? Someone told me it would be about eight quarts but I am not sure and I wanted to get your input.

Thanks
Yeah, thats getting pretty close.

be sure to drain the torque converter, it has a plug.
that way you dont leave any old fluid in the tranny.
i would use a synthetic oil, it will lower the temp and last longer.
keep in mind there is a direct relation as to the tranny temp on how long it will last.
the cooler the temp the longer it will last.adding a extra cooler will help also.
there is also external screw on filter you can add. it makes keeping the oil clean a little easier.

Like blacksnapon said in post #2......don't be tempted to substitute. I have heard of too many transmissions having issues because something else was better. The current Ford fluid for the 5R110 is the Mercon LV fluid. It supercedes the Mercon SP and is NOT suppose to be mixed together....from multiple queries from the dealership techs. This means a total transmission flush to replace the fluid.

there is no need to change the fluid if you're not going to change the filter period, also get the right type of fluid as stated.

Ford Truck Articles