Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

How Well Does your Super Duty Tow

Aaron and Gunner, you both have travel trailers, how heavy are they and how do you like towing them with your Super Duties? My boat only weighs about 5,000 lbs. and literally tows like there is nothing back there behind my F250 6.0 CC.

I previosly towed it with a '97 F150 regular cab, short bed, 4.6, and 3:55 gear. Talk about an awakening! After towing it to and from St. Louis and San Antonio Tx. behind that F150, I knew I needed something different. It sure did have its tongue hang'n out...and there's no real hills between here and there.

Tom, do you tow with your F350 dually?

Gunner

Charter Member
Billings
Aaron and Gunner, you both have travel trailers, how heavy are they and how do you like towing them with your Super Duties? My boat only weighs about 5,000 lbs. and literally tows like there is nothing back there behind my F250 6.0 CC.

I previosly towed it with a '97 F150 regular cab, short bed, 4.6, and 3:55 gear. Talk about an awakening! After towing it to and from St. Louis and San Antonio Tx. behind that F150, I knew I needed something different. It sure did have its tongue hang'n out...and there's no real hills between here and there.

I have a 32ft 2000 3 slide Jayco. I can pull that trailer from Springfield to OKC at 70-75mph, generally with the cruise on (I pedal it till I get to the Oklahoma line.........hills get a little easier). My truck is bone stock and pulls like an 800lb gorilla.........I've noticed that I tend to pass a lot of the vaunted Dodge diesels once I get her wound up, too.............

You're not really working your truck hard enough to be calling it "pulling" if you're just toting a 5000lb boat around.......you need a bigger boat......MUCH bigger ;)

Gunner

Gunner

Charter Member
Billings
Is there any way you could talk to my wife if I gave you my phone number?

No no no. It's QUITE simple. Just REASON with her. In order for your truck to get the proper exercise it needs to grow up STRONG and HEALTHY, it needs to be worked harder. In order to do that, you need more weight on your truck. Well, since (I'm guessing) that you don't own a camper, or anything like that, and you DO own a boat, the BEST thing to do, all around, is get a bigger boat. It will keep YOU out of her hair (You'll be busy giving your truck a workout between Table Rock and home), you're truck will go up with a cold nose and a shiny coat, and everyone will be happy............You just got to let her know that nowadays EVERYBODY has a third mortgage ;)

Gunner

Gunner

Charter Member
Billings
Ya know Gunner, I just re-read your post.......is there any chance your gonna be running for any public office in the near future?

Now WHY would I want to wear a tie :D

Gunner

CaFordDude

Charter Member
Cali
My truck is BONE stock. My trailer is a 2004 27BH (30ft bumper to tounge). Dry it is about 5000lbs I believe and wet it comes in at like 9700lbs (Exact figures may vary).

My truck tows it like a champ. My wife travels a lot for her job (Professional Dog Handler) and tows the trailer at least once a month. last year she towed to St Louis for a show and came home bragging about what a great job the truck did.

I love the tow command feature also. It almost makes breaking a plaesure.

Was the show your that wife attended here in Stl Louis, the Purina Challenge? What kind of dogs does she handle/show?

My truck is also bone stock and like I said before, it handles my boat like it isn't even there.......I couldn't be more pleased.

CaFordDude

Charter Member
Cali
No not the Purina Challenge. I do know some people that were there but not my wife.

We own and breed Golden Retrievers and Flat-Coated Retrievers. She shows a variety of breeds for her clients.

That particular show was for the Flat-Coated Retriever National Speciality (only flat-coats). She will be in New York next week for Westminster with a Saint Bernard.

You can check out us and our dogs and stuff on our website.

www.arjisretrievers.com If you click on the client pics link on the handeling page it will show some of the other dogs my wife has shown.

6L PWR

Kansas Chapter member
Hey Brad, not only does mine haul A$$, but I do tow a 8500 lbs boat as well. Just like you, I upgraded to a better truck and it pulls this boat like it's not even back there. Ain't a diesel KEWEL though. lol

No not the Purina Challenge. I do know some people that were there but not my wife.

We own and breed Golden Retrievers and Flat-Coated Retrievers. She shows a variety of breeds for her clients.

That particular show was for the Flat-Coated Retriever National Speciality (only flat-coats). She will be in New York next week for Westminster with a Saint Bernard.

You can check out us and our dogs and stuff on our website.

www.arjisretrievers.com If you click on the client pics link on the handeling page it will show some of the other dogs my wife has shown.
Aaron, you and your wife are just the people I've been looking for. We have a dog we adopted from a no kill animal shelter and I've always thought she was part Flat Coat Retriever and part Doberman (because of her black and tan coloration). She definitely has retriever personality, she loves water and carries stuff around. One thing I notice about her is her gate, it's so smooth as she walks. Regardless of what she is, we love her to pieces and she is very affectionate. Don't laugh, but here is her picture...

Attachments

• Project1 (Medium).JPG

I've towed all over the country and the philippines with mine; well, Guam, that is...

early last year we did an install at the naval airbase in Guam. the park was loaded on two 25' 8-wheel gooseneck trailers. More parts, tools and my F350 was loaded into a second container.

Those goosenecks are rated at 25K, and I think it's safe to say we have had them at capacity many times, and this was no exception. I had recently bought the 80 HP flash from DPtuners and The ol' girl really outdid herself!
I change my tranny fluid and filter every 30k, but mostly because I'm anal about it, not because it HAS to be. I figure it is really inexpensive compared to the tranny cost.
My camping trailer is a 1977 Cree 27' Bumper-pull with a full bath and two 40g propane tanks, plus I pull a second trailer behind IT sometimes, a pickup bed with two 55 gal drums of fresh water and a poly blueboy tank for when I go to our lake property in the spring/fall.
I think I do a LITTLE towing, don't you??? LOL...
and I don't know if I would have EVER tried this with anything Ive owned before.

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
Tows?????

My Excursion can tow and it can "toe", heel and sit with the best of them!!!!

Now if I could just get my dog to do the same.

Ford Truck Articles