Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Emissions and vacuum diagram for 1978 F350

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
Well you need to start posting casting codes from those engine parts to maybe help narrow this down.
Casting Codes? What casting code number can be cross referenced to a Ford part number? None!

If numbers are present on emission related parts, they are ID Engineering numbers which can be cross referenced to Ford part numbers.

5thDimension: CA vehicle: The DSO code on the Warranty Plate will be either 71 or 72 / See post #16 for further info on these CA only DSO codes.

Last edited:
The date casting code tell me when that part was cast and more than likely used ,,within 3-6 months anyway

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
The date casting code tell me when that part was cast and more than likely used ,,within 3-6 months anyway
There's really no way to know by the casting code when a part was installed on a vehicle. It could be within a month, a year or who knows.

Some service part replacements have a casting date codes on them, the parts could be in a dealers parts inventory for decades.

Casting numbers/date codes are found on engine blocks, heads, intake manifoilds, rear axle housings, trans cases, steering gearboxes...things like this. But most parts that have numbers on them are ID Engineering numbers.

You won't find one casting number/date code on an emissions related part that I'm aware of...and I'm aware of every emission part Ford used on everything from 1961 thru 1997.

My reference to casting numbers related the possibility of and early 385 series engine that doesn't have the necessary emissions related casting orifices.

You know, those differences that will either accept an emissions device or not. Another reason for for engineering numbert change up characters.

This is where the casting numbers come in Bill.
Determining the vintage of the part

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
My reference to casting numbers related the possibility of and early 385 series engine that doesn't have the necessary emissions related casting orifices.

You know, those differences that will either accept an emissions device or not. Another reason for for engineering numbert change up characters.

This is where the casting numbers come in Bill.
Determining the vintage of the part
A block casting number only comes into play in 1979, when Ford offered two different 460 engines. You need to verify the block casting number when replacing the flywheel or harmonic balancer.

Smog related parts would be specific only to CA or non CA vehicles. What a casting number would tell you in this regard...is absolutly nothing...since the block, heads, intake manifold are the same.

Bill the change-up characters (suffix of the engineering #'s) are basically telling us the part has been altered since original casting

My personal experience ....This was usually for emission related orifices for operation of the engine

Mainly relating to intake and exhaust manifolds

Last edited:
My reply was toward the guy that thought he had a early 70's 460

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
My reply was toward the guy that thought he had a early 70's 460
Block castings numbers for 1971/73 429's & 1971/78 & some 1979 460's (except '79 Passenger Cars).

DIVE-6015-AB, -AB1, -AB2.

Another vac diagram please

Hi, I'm looking for the same vacuum diagram for a 79 F350 with a 400. I've got a local guy building the carb with an electric choke. I figure I might as well make sure all the vac system stuff works since it has all been capped off years ago. The snow is here and I've got to get it moved.

Thanks

there is more to the calibration number than the 74

see this one below

I wonder if I should set up my own website and start charging for these since I need the money after wasting money going to Calif in June ? ;)

well you better find the sticker to verify as there are about 22 diagrams for the 79 400

Hi Guys,

Hate to revive an old thread. I was curious if anyone (Mil1ion perhaps?) would be able to provide a copy of the vaccum diagrams for a 1978 460 (Calibration code 8-97-R0). Unfortunately the image on the F*E site is only a thumbnail. I appreciate any help as I'm trying to clean up the aftermath of a minor thermal event due to the PO deciding to remove the choke stove plate!

Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited:

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts