Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

E40D Shift problems , Completely rebuilt

Hello Fellow Truck LOVERS , Ive always loved the e40d .

Here goes ? Completely rebuilt e40d trans . Shifts hard at times from 1-2
2-3 . sometimes smooth as butter , but then falls out of 3rd and just revs .
40 years of tranny overhaul experience from Reputable friend .

Replaced the trans range sensor or as Ford likes to call it sometimes the MLPS

Was thinking TPS , but no Engine light on , nor flashing O.D Light on the lever

This one has got me puzzled ...

any help would be greatly appreciated

At the back of the intake manifold I did find some wiring that seemed to be scorched from the EGR crossover tube .. ? Is there any transmission Wiring in this harness.?
smilieFordlogo

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
What truck is it in?
What are the codes?

1992 F150 302 4x2. Have not tried to pull codes yet , gonna have to YouTube a video and count the beats I guess. I no....a great place to start... I think the bulb in the gear shift selector , for overdrive is blown to.

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
There is a TSB on the harness and plug on the passenger side, behind the cat shield

be careful buying replacement part, if bad though. the plug shape changes in 95, or if upgraded in a rebuild

That being said.
If the od light/switch is not lighting up, or is unhooked as he stated above, could be he solved his problem right there. Fix the light/od switch.

There is a TSB on the harness and plug on the passenger side, behind the cat shield

be careful buying replacement part, if bad though. the plug shape changes in 95, or if upgraded in a rebuild

That being said.
If the od light/switch is not lighting up, or is unhooked as he stated above, could be he solved his problem right there. Fix the light/od switch.

iam planning on dropping the column down to look at the shift tube wiring , on high mileage truck the wiring would rub thru and ground out on the column. I'll keep use updated

iam planning on dropping the column down to look at the shift tube wiring , on high mileage truck the wiring would rub thru and ground out on the column. I'll keep use updated

Cool...
Usually the flywheel is only a balance issue from small block to a big block
engine ,that may only result in a nasty vibration ,that said ,maybe ruled out!

Newer trans. rely on a electronic module ,so check that or a short in the wire ,or bad ground!...:)

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
I agree, the best guess on this is a shredded/worn wiring harness on the passenger side behind the cat converter shield.

Mine has done this in the past, and is currently behaving similarly. That's my next move if I get time to fool with it.

Other data sources for this transmission include the TPS, and the speed sensor.

Ryan

Ford Truck Articles