Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Question for electricians.

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND
GFCI outlets have two hook ups on them, load and line.

I have just put a tub in and tiled the bathroom, put a new vanity in and am going to put a wall mount light fixture above the new mirror and vanity.

I have an existing GFCI outlet in the bathroom. Would it work to power the new light and switch off of the GFCI, or would the spark that sometimes comes from a light switch trip the GFCI?

Just curious if that would work.

I have the light and fan in my master bath wired just like your asking.
I did it this way for the simple reason that sometimes I turn them on while standing in the shower. :shocked:
Which your not supposed to do.'smiliedoh'

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
I did it this way for the simple reason that sometimes I turn them on while standing in the shower. :shocked:

So, if you don't login for a couple days, call 911? :D

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine

Both our light and fan are hooked up this way and is real close to the shower.....Our bathroom is brand newly renovated and was only done this way because of space.

Sent from my not so smart phone using Forum Runner! :)

At one time the code read the switches were to be out of reach, but I don't know if its still the same.

My master bath was a half bath. I added the shower next to the switches.
Also used plastic screws in the cover plate.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
The spark will cause no issues, but putting a fan on a GFCI can cause nuisance tripping...we will not do.

If they are within reach of the tub/shower, then they have to be on a GFI with plastic plate screws, as Mark noted.....remember that a typical hair dryer draws 1500+ watts and adding to a circuit such as the bathroom plugs can be an issue...when we wire new homes, a separate circuit is pulled for the bathroom plugs.

Code for a receptacle is no closer than 18'' to a tub/shower...and a GFI obviously.

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND
Great! Thanks everyone! This will make wiring the new fixture in a piece of cake!

Ford Truck Articles