Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

'79 Official race truck?

countryboytn

'78 Bronco owner
Just lookin' through Craigslist (decided I needed a new toy+something easy on gas.. so I'm looking for a motorcycle) and ran across this.

http://knoxville.craigslist.org/cto/2262701505.html
3n03p43l65Z25T15X5b3dffecf0aa6b351f5c.jpg
3n63of3ld5T35W45X1b3dd6fad026f9ac182b.jpg

Anybody got any info on these things though? Are they just like the Nascar edition f-150's they had a while back or what?

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
These trucks have nothing to do with NASCAR.

1979 Indy 500: The Pace Car was a 1979 Mustang, the service trucks were 1979 F150's.

Ford offered limited editions of both to the general public with all the stripes, logos and etc...just like the originals.

Dennis (Mil1ion) has original factory literature for these vehicles. Ask him to post it.

Ford also sold wearing apparel related to these vehicles. The Mustang Pace Car jacket was black nylon with red piping w/a black quilted lining.

Had the Pace Car emblem on the left shoulder and a white racing stripe on the right side front.

Lotsa luck finding one.

There were also Pace Car hats, I haven't seen any since 1979. I have seen a jacket recently, cuz one is hanging in my closet. No, it's not for sale and it prolly wouldn't fit y'all cuz it's 3XX.

Last edited:

countryboytn

'78 Bronco owner
I wasn't implying it was Nascar, rather that it was a limited edition truck, such as the Nascar F-150.

I assume they are rare, but I dunno if it would increase it's value or not. It just caught my attention for some reason and wanted to learn more about it.

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
People love these trucks and they are highly desirable. AFAIK, this was the first limited edition F150. AFAIK, there were no limited edition F100's for any year.

The problem is, there aren't many originals around, but there are a lotta FAKES.

All the specific Indy 500 parts were available at the part counter, so fakes were made up beginning when these trucks were brand new.

The same applies to the 1979 Mustang Pace Cars.

Last edited:

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I always thought those were cool trucks. I'd imagine the red accents are tape stripes, correct?

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
I always thought those were cool trucks. I'd imagine the red accents are tape stripes, correct?

IIRC, yep. You can order repro kits... I've even seen a set of 'NOS' stickers. Not sure about them, though.

Those are pretty neat. It would sure be worth the $1500.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
IIRC, yep. You can order repro kits... I've even seen a set of 'NOS' stickers. Not sure about them, though.

Whoa now...someone is reproducing the tape stripes??????? As for NOS, chances are they're no good and terribly brittle...just an FYI for the future.

Those are pretty neat. It would sure be worth the $1500.

That's what I'm thinking. I always thought it would be cool to build one that could back up its 'on track intentions'.

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
Whoa now...someone is reproducing the tape stripes??????? As for NOS, chances are they're no good and terribly brittle...just an FYI for the future.

Haven't seen them in a while, but they're out there. I'll see what I can dig up.

I'd stay clear from NOS because of the age. I'd rather have all of it painted.

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
Illustrated in the 1973/79 Ford Light Truck Parts Catalog / Text-Exterior Moulding Section / Tape Stripes-TYPE 15.

1) D9TZ-9920000-RA .. Stripe Kit-Orange/Black-Front fender emblems & front door Indy 500 emblems only.

1) D9TZ-9920000-NA .. Stripe Kit-Use w/6' box-Orange/Red/Black-Complete vehicle, except front fender emblems & front door Indy 500 emblems.

1) As original: D9TZ-9920000-PA .. Stripe Kit-Use w/8' box-Orange/Red/Black-Complete vehicle, except front fender emblems & front door Indy 500 emblems.

Later on in 1979, Ford replaced D9TZ-9920000-PA with D9TZ-1020000-AA Right Side and D9TZ-1020001-AA Left Side.

CAVEAT EMPTOR = Let the buyer beware.

These kits came rolled up in a box. Over a length of time, heat caused the inner stripe layer to become bonded to the adhesive outer layer, so when you try and peel off one layer from t'other, it cannot be done.

This means you just wasted $$$ buying one a these NOS kits...because it will be worthless...I kid you not.

And...this jazz applies to ALL Ford stripe kits, not just these.

Last edited:

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
That's exactly the link I was looking for! Kinda pricey, buy hey - ya don't see 'em too much.

Makes me wonder who their supplier is and if they'd do Freewheeler kits?????

That said, I prefer painted to tape stripes.

I was just given an explorer striping kit for a 79 from a nice guy on ebay after a bought a couple of parts from him.

Now I have the original pattern that a friend of mine who is a commercial artist can reproduce for a few people.

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
Makes me wonder who their supplier is and if they'd do Freewheeler kits?????

That said, I prefer painted to tape stripes.

Keep in mind that they're reflective. I wonder what that'll cost?! :hammer:

If I get to do a full frame off - I'm going paint, freewheelin style.

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
Why would they make a 4wd one? :suspicious:

Indy truck

Hello to all of you. I'm a newbie here but I've owned at least one of these trucks for many years. I think maybe I have purchased the truck on the Knoxville ad. I bought it from a guy in Elizabethton a few weeks ago. Is this it ?

photo4.jpg.html

photo2.jpg.html

I've also included a photo of the original sales brochure from Ford back in the day....

photo5.jpg.html

Regarding the decals, I'll be reproducing them very shortly. I currently need two sets for my own trucks and I'll make a few extra sets while we are at it. I have two complete sets of the original lettering decals that came in the box in the seat. I've also got an original paint and decal truck for size and placement accuracy. We will use them as patterns for size and color so the reproductions should be dead on.

If anyone has a question about these trucks I'll be happy to try and help. I've followed them pretty closely for a lot of years. Did you know there were 4,225 of them built ? You could get them in 2 and 4 wheel drive, 302's, 351's or 460's with manual or auto trans. Did you know there were a VERY few factory Indy wreckers with the same color scheme ? I missed one several years ago and it's long gone.

If you've got any info I'm all ears. These trucks are disappearing quickly and I'd love to have the data plate info off of any left out there. Particularly plant, DSO and sequence numbers.

Thanks , Dean

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
^^^Got any spare tailgate panels Dean???

I'm sorry to say that I don't have any of the orange ones Ben. I may have an NOS black inset panel but if I do, it's in the attic and will take me a few days to get to. There was an orange inset panel on ebay recently at a ridiculous price with some small amount of damage. If you need a good used one I'll be happy to look around at the swap meets.

Thanks, Dean

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I'm sorry to say that I don't have any of the orange ones Ben. I may have an NOS black inset panel but if I do, it's in the attic and will take me a few days to get to. There was an orange inset panel on ebay recently at a ridiculous price with some small amount of damage. If you need a good used one I'll be happy to look around at the swap meets.

Thanks, Dean

Thanks bud. I've got one black NOS panel in storage and just threw one on Red a couple years back...always wanted an orange one though. Feel free to look for a couple if you remember.

Ford Truck Articles