Ford Truck Fanatics  

Home Gallery TOTM New Posts My Threads / My Replies Links Sponsors Calendar Arcade Calculators Fliers
Go Back   Ford Truck Fanatics > General > General Conversation

Old 01-13-2018, 05:38 PM
caffeine junkie

Super Moderator

john112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond repute
any linux gurus?

You probably don't have to be a guru...I don't know anything.

I've got an older iMac- it's old and slow and consequently I pretty much never use it. Decided to play around a little with reviving it with a lightweight Linux distro- it should work OK for light duty...and has a much larger screen than my laptop.

So I managed to put Lubuntu on a flash drive, and boot the thing into Lubuntu off the drive, just to play with it a little before I bother trying to work out how to install it on the machine more permanently.

Seems to work, and it's pretty zippy compared to what I was dealing with on this machine yesterday...but I'll be hanged if I can figure out how to get my WiFi working (and I can't readily hardwire the machine to the router).

If I go to "Additional Drivers" I can see there's a proprietary driver for a Broadcom 802.11 etc...that's turned off. I flipped the radio button over to it and hit "Apply Changes" but it won't take...starts, then stops and returns to the "Do not use this device" radio button.

Help! About all I'm hoping to use this machine for is browsing the net, so if I can't get the WiFi to work on Lubuntu, there's no point in moving forward.

I don't know a damned thing about Linux, so use small words, please. I do have another, fully functional machine I'm using, that could be used to, say, download the appropriate driver and USB it over...if I knew how.

Thanks!

1997 Ranger XLT 4x2, 2.3L 4-cyl 5-speed -- 2009 Ranger XLT 4x4, 4.0L V-6 5-speed -- 1986 BMW R80

The advantages of modern engineering are in many ways over balanced by the disadvantages of modern civilization.
--Col. W.A. Roebling
Sponsored Links
Old 01-14-2018, 06:57 PM
Charter Member

CowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond reputeCowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond reputeCowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond reputeCowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond reputeCowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond reputeCowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond reputeCowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond reputeCowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond reputeCowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond reputeCowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond reputeCowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond repute
Check the preferred message system.

-Life is far too short to be serious all the time. So if you can't stop and laugh at yourself along the way, give me a call and I'll do it for you.

04 Ranger Fx4 Level II, 5R55E, Sonic Blue Pearl, loaded.

Useful Ford Vehicle Resources:

Owners Manuals >>> http://www.fleet.ford.com/partsandse...owner-manuals/
Build Information (click on "vehicle") >>> https://www.etis.ford.com/
Wiring schematics and TSB's (click on "technical information") >>> http://bbbind.com/
Repair guides, includes schematics w/connector pinouts >>> http://www.autozone.com/repairinfo/r...nfoLanding.jsp
Old 01-17-2018, 10:42 AM
Redneck Prognosticator

O'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond reputeO'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond reputeO'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond reputeO'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond reputeO'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond reputeO'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond reputeO'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond reputeO'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond reputeO'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond reputeO'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond reputeO'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond repute
What are the hardware specs? You might want to try the regular Ubuntu. It's a lot more friendly with drivers.

Linux's biggest knock is driver compatibility. And Ubuntu is the friendliest, especially if you can plug it into the router for the initial installation, so it can fetch updates and drivers.

Ryan
Old 01-17-2018, 06:18 PM
caffeine junkie

Super Moderator

john112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond repute
I got it running on Lubuntu...took a little fiddling but I did get it running. (It does not have the RAM for regular Ubuntu.)

Runs fine briefly, but then bogs down and hangs....I'm thinking it's not releasing RAM properly? Haven't had a chance to mess with it again.

1997 Ranger XLT 4x2, 2.3L 4-cyl 5-speed -- 2009 Ranger XLT 4x4, 4.0L V-6 5-speed -- 1986 BMW R80

The advantages of modern engineering are in many ways over balanced by the disadvantages of modern civilization.
--Col. W.A. Roebling