Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Bad Gas Mileage

I have a 91 f 150 extended cab 4x4 with a 5.8 in it and gets the worst gas mileage you can immagine can anyone give me some tips on how to fix this problem? THANKS

What transmission do you have?

My dads 88 F-150 4X4 gets horrible mileage. It just has a 3 speed auto (C6) though. Nothing will improve it very much.

A good tune up, oil, filters, plugs, wires, and proper air in the tires will help some, but not drastically.

Welcome to the site.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Welcome to FTF Boogeyman.

What kind of mileage are you getting?

Brian's right about the tune-up, that can do wonders for gas mileage if you haven't done a tune-up in a while. Unfortunately bad gas mileage can come from a wide variety of areas. More details? How is the engine running? Any other things not quite right?

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
I would also check for even tire wear. If the alignment is wrong or certain suspension parts are worn, you'll have a lot of drag.

Ryan

blacksnapon

Staff member
General checks are in order. Making sure there are no fuel leaks, of course general maintenance items (air filter, tire inflation, proper ignition timing,etc). The 5.8 never was known for exceptional mileage to begin with.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
I get about 12-13 mpg (highway with mixed city driving) with my 33" tires and 4.10 gears, and I consider my 351 to be pretty healthy.

Yeah..sounds about right. Dads 88 gets 10 on the highway (on a good day). His is the 351 (5.8 liter for those of you who use coke bottles) and the C6 though.

They say his new to him 97 (4X4, 5.4 V8) will get around 20 on the highway. He had not driven it enough yet to tell.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
I've heard those modular V8s get pretty crappy gas mileage... Although I don't think it would be any worse than these oldies like mine. I'd be interested to hear what kind of mileage he's getting, keep us posted Brian.

I've heard those modular V8s get pretty crappy gas mileage... Although I don't think it would be any worse than these oldies like mine. I'd be interested to hear what kind of mileage he's getting, keep us posted Brian.

I'm getting about 22-23 MPG with full A/C on in the summertime, and the foot usually quite a ways in the pedal on my Modular 281 (4.6 V8) YelloThumbUp

Granted the engine is in a Thunderbird instead of a truck :rofl: Little bit of a weight difference.

I personally won't buy a vehicle that doesn't weigh atleast 3,500 lbs, it's just not worth it if ya get in an accident :hammer:

Hopefully by the time I can afford a new car, someone will make a vehicle that weighs 3,500 lbs has 200 hp+ AND gets 40mph :nana:

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
I personally won't buy a vehicle that doesn't weigh atleast 3,500 lbs, it's just not worth it if ya get in an accident :hammer:

Hopefully by the time I can afford a new car, someone will make a vehicle that weighs 3,500 lbs has 200 hp+ AND gets 40mph :nana:
Keep dreaming.

I have an '03, with the 5.8, when towing my boat it gets around 8 mpg.
(boat weights around 2000lbs) but it has a high speed rear end in it. It would do better if i lived in Kansas or someplace where it was flat ground everyplace that i went.

Ford Truck Articles