Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Opinion

blacksnapon

Staff member
Does seeing a cab pulled, turn you off from a particular model/engine, or does it make no difference?

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Turns me ON if anything. It's awesome that it can be done so easily and on that truck makes the engine look really badass (with the twin turbos). Did you get yelled at for posting pics?

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
turn off... Doing basic stuff short of a rebuild should be an attainable goal without pulling the entire cab.

The process is cool, but it's not cool to necessitate that kind of extravagance.

Ryan

surewhynot

Rep whores make me sick
Florida
It's a definate turn off for me. I don't mind pulling the cab on a project or a restoration, but to be forced to make certain repairs just blows.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Did he say that he was forced to pull the cab for this repair? I was under the impression that it was a convenience feature.

Regardless, Vince was asking if SEEING the cab pulled was a turn off or turn on, not whether it was a turn on/off that it COULD be pulled.

Gunner

Charter Member
Billings
Does seeing a cab pulled, turn you off from a particular model/engine, or does it make no difference?

Turn me of COMPLETELY? No...........

But it WILL make me think a LONG LONG time about buying one. I like to know that if I get in a bind that I can at least get around the engine to TRY and make the thing work.

I work in some strange and wonderful places, and thats generally where machines decide to lay down and die............In strange and wonderful places, usually between the hours of Midnight and 0300. Not being able to access the engine is a BIG negative for me...........

Not a showstopper, but DEFINATELY not a plus trying to sell me a truck, if you know what I mean.

Gunner

6L PWR

Kansas Chapter member
It's always a turn on to see an engine, but it does make me not want a 6.4L that much more. What a cluster muck!! I thought the 6.0L seemed complicated looking at first, but that thing looks like a jigsaw puzzle, and I'm not that good at them!!

blacksnapon

Staff member
As far as having to pull the cab for everything...........no. You can do everything under the valve covers without cab removal. There actually is a procedure in the books, for doing this same job with cab on. It was for me, easier. To remove the twin turbo, cab removal is recommended (the oil drain tubes are easy to damage if rough handling is done). It looks like it would be possible, however.

blacksnapon

Staff member
It's always a turn on to see an engine, but it does make me not want a 6.4L that much more. What a cluster muck!! I thought the 6.0L seemed complicated looking at first, but that thing looks like a jigsaw puzzle, and I'm not that good at them!!
Just remember,Todd, by pulling the cab on a 6.0, I can have an engine out, and replacement back in and running, in 14 hours. How long did your buddy take?

blacksnapon

Staff member
turn off... Doing basic stuff short of a rebuild should be an attainable goal without pulling the entire cab.

The process is cool, but it's not cool to necessitate that kind of extravagance.

Ryan
Remember, this all started because "certain techs" discovered that even without Fords blessings, if you pulled the cab on the 6.0, instead of 24 hours, many jobs can be done in half the time. Ford saw that this was a viable way to do things, and changed their own minds. Besides, how much "basic" stuff is left, that you can do?

blacksnapon

Staff member
Turns me ON if anything. It's awesome that it can be done so easily and on that truck makes the engine look really badass (with the twin turbos). Did you get yelled at for posting pics?
Nah, In fact, if you look at one of the pics, you can see the service manager on the other side taking his own.

Cab off is definitely a turn on. The ease of service at that point makes it all worthwhile. The number of times I've been underneath the hood of my X wishing the body wasn't there and cursing FMC for designing something that is such a PITA to work on makes me think that they listened on the 08s.

The ability to easily lift the cab is a good thing, not all that convenient for the average DIYer but it definitely makes a lot of repairs more straight forward and more efficient for the techs. I have been know to spend a lot of time in my current job (CNC manufacturing equipment service) just taking things apart so that the job I actually want to do is easier. In the long run being able to do a job comfortably often means doing higher quality work :beer:

I hate it myself. No way can the average person work on their own vehicles anymore. That is the goal of all the major automotive manufacturers. Stop shade tree mechanics and even professional mechanics who do not work for them. All the computer garbage is not helping either.

You eight take your vehicle to ford, or send it to the salvage Yard. Not a way to earn business.

The (newer than mine) explorers you can't even check your own transmission fluid. How stupid is that?

blacksnapon

Staff member
I hate it myself. No way can the average person work on their own vehicles anymore. That is the goal of all the major automotive manufacturers. Stop shade tree mechanics and even professional mechanics who do not work for them. All the computer garbage is not helping either.

You eight take your vehicle to ford, or send it to the salvage Yard. Not a way to earn business.

The (newer than mine) explorers you can't even check your own transmission fluid. How stupid is that?
The trans fluid is checked in the same place you drain it. The little plug inside the big plug on the bottom, is how its done. At operating temp, remove the small plug while running. The fluid should dribble out.

Bob Ayers

North Carolina Chapter member
Durham, NC
I hate to say it, but having to pull the cab to service that engine is PI$$ poor engineering!!!

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Vince I understand that you don't NEED to pull the cab and that its a convenience feature...

Not sure why these other blokes can't get that through their heads... LOL

Just wanted to let you know that I'm right there with ya' :D

Ford Truck Articles