Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

New 72

1985 Ford F-150

Country Boys Can Survive
Tooele, Utah
Well finally got fed up with the 76 so we went and bought us a 72 250 4x4 with a 4 speed. Got it for 400 bucks and it isnt that rusty it does have some dents in the doors. The trans is very very tight and the runnin gear is good. Axles are d60 rear and d44 hd front. It has a 360 that needs a timing chain. It just bare bones and is a good solid truck. It does have power brakes but has manual steering. Heres some pics.

I have been tryin to figure out what the trans is and what the transfer case is. Its a four speed trans with a granny. The transfer case has 4hi 4 low N and 2 hi. Im also wonderin what parts I can use from my 76 that will go on the 72 I figured the axles would go over and the motor, but what else will? It runs ok for the timing chain bein shot and it has great brakes. It was used as a farm truck for most of its life and it has sat 90 percent of 15 years. We drove it around a little bit and it was a great dirvin truck. The steering is tight and its not too difficult to steer.

Last edited:

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Dude...that's pretty sweet. Can't beat $400. Sorry, can't help you much with identification...but I would definitely loooooove to acquire another bumpside some day.

1985 Ford F-150

Country Boys Can Survive
Tooele, Utah
Yeah the only bad thing is that its 2 and a half hours away and thats long drive in my truck with a trailer behind me. We havent brought it home yet because of the distance but well go get it next weekend and I can start fixin it and gettin it ready for inspection.

1985 Ford F-150

Country Boys Can Survive
Tooele, Utah
Thats about the only one that runs for that much money. I jumped on it cause it hasent been screwed with like the 76 has so I have a good startin platform. Oh yeah it does need new exhaust from the manifolds back I was thinkin 2.5 inch pipe and turn out before the rear wheels like my 76 but im not sure on mufflers Im leanin towrds glasspacks but I also would like to hear what UNRULEE's new mufflers sound like and how loud they are.

Last edited:

1985 Ford F-150

Country Boys Can Survive
Tooele, Utah
Yeah its not at my house yet but around there its very nice Ill get ya a pic of around here and down there when we go pick it up next weekend. Its in a town called Mt. Pleasant Utah. I also got to lookin closer at the title when we got home and it dont match the vin or the model so I dont know what to do about that we tried to call him when we got home and talk to him about it but he said he was goin to a meeting of some sort and would be tied up there for quite awhile. The title he gave us Says its a 72 which is right but then it says F-150 and the vin is only 6 numbers and they dont match up with the door tag. What do we do to fix it? Get a bill of sale and have him sign it and get a new title or somethin else? Thats Dad standin in the background there.

1985 Ford F-150

Country Boys Can Survive
Tooele, Utah
I got the picture of the vin tag on the door to be clear enough and it says the code for the trans is A and the axle is 24 dont know if its rear or front and I dont know what the tcase is. If somebody could help me figure this out it would be a great help.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
What do we do to fix it? Get a bill of sale and have him sign it and get a new title or somethin else? Thats Dad standin in the background there.

Depends on your state. I think in Maine for something that old, all I'd need to register it would be a bill of sale...but other states I know that isn't the case. Do you know if Utah requires titles on vehicles 25+ years old or not? Should be pretty easy to find on the state website...

*Looking at those pictures, though...damn do I miss bein' out west. Miss it so bad it almost hurts. But then, I know I don't actually like living there as much as visiting, too.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Dan...call your local DMV and/or vehicle registration agency. I don't know anything about Utah laws. I know in NC, if you have a bill of sale, it has to be notarized...and even then it's sticky and you have to request a title within 30 days of ownership. In TN, a bill of sale with both participants sig is more than good. Once I did that with a Tbird, but then I had to get a Tennessee title ($35)...then I had to transfer that title an NC title.

1985 Ford F-150

Country Boys Can Survive
Tooele, Utah
I see. Here we have to have titles for all years to get em registered and inspected. They used to have to get it notorized but not anymore ya just sign the back of the title and then if ya want to do a bill of sale ya can we forgot to get one so well take one down to him. He got it from a old gentleman that passed on and the family gave the truck to him. I dont know if this title is the one they gave him or not. It is registered to his buisnesses name and not his personally so could it be some sort of a fleet title?

1985 Ford F-150

Country Boys Can Survive
Tooele, Utah
Well we got a hold of the guy and he says that the title he gave us is the title he got from the family of the previous owner. He said to overnight it to him and hell get it all fixed up for us. He also said hes gonna get a cop to come out and verify the VIN and then if its clear run down to the DMV and get it fixed.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Best guess on trans I could give is either a NP435 or a T18...the best/easiest way to tell the difference is reverse is over and up on a T18...and it's over and down on a NP435. And best guess I could give for the tcase would be something of the Dana variety...maybe a 20? Pretty sure it's a D20...might wanna do a quick check on fordification to make sure I'm right though.

1985 Ford F-150

Country Boys Can Survive
Tooele, Utah
Alright I looked the vin up on fordification and it says the trans is np435 and the rear axle is a d60 open diff the front is a 44 heavy. The transfer case is a dana 24 I think I might find me another 205 and put it in there if the 24 takes a dump.

1985 Ford F-150

Country Boys Can Survive
Tooele, Utah
Well were goin to get it tomorrow so I got the 76 filled up with fluids and fuel and ready to go. e just need to go pick up the trailer from the rental place and then well be goin. Hopefully the motor wont break down on us.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Well good luck...can't wait to see more pics. You gonna keep the front mounted tire on there. For some reason I think that looks awesome.

1985 Ford F-150

Country Boys Can Survive
Tooele, Utah
Yeah its probly gonna stay there so I got more bed room. It will also make for a great deer killer I could probly mow down ten or fifteen of them things untill it gets a dent in there. Mom sure does hate it and she probly wont want to ride in it (she has a bmw she got for free).

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Put a woman in a BMW and she instantly turns into a snob...haha, just messin. I bet you could mow down quite a few deer with that thing...fill the freezer for a life time.

Ford Truck Articles