Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Oooo Noooo!!

fords4life91

"The best NEVER rest"
Well as many of you know I only paid 500 bucks for my truck but it looks like I am about to have to drop ALOT of money into my truck......... I went to buy some wax for my truck today and on the way there it kinda seemed sluggush and the rpm's were higher then they normaly were for how fast I was taking off?? Then I got stopped and when I went to take off it was slipping like crazy so I just went into the store and bought the wax and after I left its doing the same thing, its slipping but its still shifting fine so idk what to do at this point.... I could prolly start buy taking the wax back cuz I think im gonna NEED the money LOL!!

Uh oh.

Do you know how to check the transmission fluid? Sorry, I have to ask. :)

Start there and see if it is way low (could be a bad leak).

Also, while you have the dipstick out...tell us about the color and smell of the fluid. Is it bright red and clean looking or black and burnt smelling?

That could tell us a lot as well.

I know you have not had it too long, but have you changed the transmission fluid and filter since you have had it?

fords4life91

"The best NEVER rest"
Thats the first thing i did when i got home and the level was fine and it was a nice red and didnt smell burnt AT ALL!! I have not changed the fluid because i have heard that that is the WORST thing that you can do with high miliage!!

If the fluid level is fine and the fluid looks/smells fine...I would venture a guess that it is some sort of control problem. Solenoid, wiring, or something.

I have not worked on an automatic in years, but that would be my guess.

You might ask a mod to move this to the certified tech area. The pros are more likely to see it in there.

I would not be at the panic stage just yet. It could be something relatively simple.

I am wondering now if the 91s still had the modulator valve on the side of the transmission (my 89 ranger did). Those going bad would cause the symptoms you have. They used to cost around $20 or so. Easy to change with a couple of hand tools. They are not inside so only a dribble of fluid is lost when changing them.

Thats the first thing i did when i got home and the level was fine and it was a nice red and didnt smell burnt AT ALL!! I have not changed the fluid because i have heard that that is the WORST thing that you can do with high miliage!!

How many miles on the truck and what engine? How often do you change the oil? What viscosity do you use?

fords4life91

"The best NEVER rest"
How many miles on the truck and what engine? How often do you change the oil? What viscosity do you use?

The truck has the 302 and it has 165,000 miles on it. I change my ENGINE oil every 3,000 miles with motorcraft synthetic oil.......

** BTW the truck is an 94....91 is my birth year LOL **

Last edited:
The truck has the 302 and it has 165,000 miles on it. I change my ENGINE oil every 3,000 miles with motorcraft synthetic oil.......

** BTW the truck is an 94....91 is my birth year LOL **

I was thinking that, lol. 1991 is Gen8, if your truck is a 1991 gen9 you have a very special pickup. :) smilietease

165,000 miles is alot especially if it is a city truck. I would say there would be no issue with a 300 (which go forever) but the V8s are different.

Michigan
Ugh justin.....

Im beginning to think the (Shift Kit) wore down clutches inside your transmission, or even if you ever had a shift kit in it. If its shifting fine then how is it slipping?

its slipping but its still shifting fine so idk what to do at this point....

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Err....

Does the speedometer work?

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Start by pulling codes. Its an electronic transmission, if it has problems with any of the solenoids or other electronic components its going to tell you. It's also supposed to throw codes when it's slipping. Get the codes pulled and report back.

fords4life91

"The best NEVER rest"
Start by pulling codes. Its an electronic transmission, if it has problems with any of the solenoids or other electronic components its going to tell you. It's also supposed to throw codes when it's slipping. Get the codes pulled and report back.

How do i get the codes checked?? The local autostore only tests OBDII..... Also wouldnt my check engine light be on???

I'm pretty sure there are codes that cause the CEL to come on, and ones that don't. It's worth a check.

fords4life91

"The best NEVER rest"
I was thinking that, lol. 1991 is Gen8, if your truck is a 1991 gen9 you have a very special pickup. :) smilietease

165,000 miles is alot especially if it is a city truck. I would say there would be no issue with a 300 (which go forever) but the V8s are different.

The truck has spent its whole life country driving (55 MPH).... and what the heck does the motor I have in the truck have to do with my trans????

fords4life91

"The best NEVER rest"
**UPDATE**

I just drove my truck to work and back and had not ONE PROBLEM!!?? So it must be electrical?? Maybe thats what the clicking noise is??

The truck has spent its whole life country driving (55 MPH).... and what the heck does the motor I have in the truck have to do with my trans????

Well I suppose it wouldnt... :headbang:

If it was a 300 is would be an M5OD anyway... :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
If it was a 300 is would be an M5OD anyway...

Not if it was a slushbox. Friend of mine has a '92 with the straight-six and an overdrive automatic...

fords4life91

"The best NEVER rest"
So can anyone tell me how to test for codes??

The local Auto Zone used to pull codes for me on my 89 ranger as well as the 88 F-150 for free. Just don't let them sell you parts.

Write down the codes (if any) and report back here.

Once, on the ranger, they tried to sell me an Oxygen sensor. Nope!

Found out it had gotten unplugged while out wheeling. No parts needed. :)

If it is the same as my ranger there is a way to do it with a paperclip as well, but I have forgotten how to do it properly. Yes...a paperclip.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts