Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

4 hi and 4 low lights flash

Hmm...I know this is wishful thinking...but it is working here in the driveway tonight after leaving the battery unhooked. Auto, 4 high, and 4 low.

It will probably mess up again in the morning. :(

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
IIRC correctly, there is a speed sensor on the rear diff, and one on each front wheel.

I am not too familiar with the front ones, as my Ranger does not have them, but I believe they are bolted near the caliper, to a ring that spins with the wheel. I cannot remember if you can clean/adjust them, or if they simply work or do not work.

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
one on the front wheel sounds very likely if there is one. Anyone have an electrical schematic for a ranger or exploder in this era?

Ryan

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
I am fairly certain there is a speed sensor for the ABS on each front wheel.

How you could tell which is causing the problem, I don't know. Right now, I am glad I do not have a 4x4. Come winter, I will wish I did have it, though.

Yeah. I have driven a 4X4 since 89. I don't need it most of the time, but when I do...I want it to work.

If I ever get another one, it will not be all this electronic garbage. The last two were standard everything. Never an issue.

I am hoping that for now..it will be OK. I can't afford to let ford work on anything.

You should read some of the ford horror stories on the other site over these flashing lights.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
I've got a Ranger, and have spent enough time in the Ranger forum on another site, to have heard plenty of horror stories about the whole darn mess.

I don't like automatic anything. But when the vehicle you have is equipped with that stuff, then you must learn to fix it when it breaks. That is why I know anything at all about EFI.

True. I will eventually find out the problem and fix it. No way can I pay ford to do so.

I was refering to explorer forum actually this time. Ranger resource does not have anything about the lights on it. I looked.

I don't go into areas other than the 48-60 on "the other site". LOL

I had not planned on working on the explorer this weekend. I had planned on working on the 56. The club has a cruise in Tuesday night and I wanted it cleaned up some. :(

Anything new on this, brian?

I know the GEM for the diesels of that year had major issues. I Imagine they are made by the same folk.

blacksnapon

Staff member
Nothing new. I have put an awful lot of miles on it with no issues. I check the 4X4 hi and low every so often as well.
The only thing I can think of that might cause those symptoms---GEM module, the contact plates in the 4x4 shift motor, the connector on the motor, or circuitry. Without having it here, thats about all we could offer as far as help...sorry.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts