Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Drive shaft Question

Gentlemen,

I am new to changing out U-Joints on my drive shaft. I removed it with little difficulty, the u-joints gave me some trouble but got them out. Upon further inspection, it looks as though I have two different sized u-joints. The front one is marked with a "130" and I could not find any markings on the back. The back one is bigger. Is this normal? I want to replace both of them and am looking for some wisdom.

Thank you,

Josh

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
What year truck, what engine? From your avatar picture, I am assuming it is 2WD and you are talking about the rear driveshaft? Also, what wheelbase, 133"?

smokey

Hitech hillbilly
Staff member
If it's the truck listed in his profile it is a 1978 f100 custom.
If so they should be the same a moog 369 or the moog heavy duty 269 should fit front and rear. Or the moog 280 geasable heavy duty

Last edited:
it is a 78 f100 2wd, 300, c6. wheel base is 133in. another question. the badges say custom but any time i look for parts online, ie. jegs or summit, the L6 is only listed under base. are the badges wrong or the websites not educated?

Jasperrc

Texas Chapter member
Custom and Base are trim packages that have more to do with comfort and accessories than with the engine/power train. The dealer brochure for '78 shows the 300 as standard equipment for F100, F150, F250 and some F350 trucks with V-8s as optional for all but some F350 models.

So for mechanical parts Base or Custom shouldn't matter.

Hope this helps!

Ford Truck Articles