Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

before and after AC removal

Hi guys. My mechanic inspected the entire AC system on this truck and pretty much pronounced it dead. So I figured I would replace the whole system with something from this century when I get the chance. But I decided to remove the old stuff. And it made a lot of difference in the amount of room and appearance. I am keeping all of the old brackets and things in a box in case they are needed for the new system. Here are a couple of photos. I am also working on managing the wiring better but have a ways to go on that....

Attachments

• before.jpg
  • after.jpg

Jasperrc

Texas Chapter member
Very nice!

Our truck didn't come with AC so we added it. There are some options out there when you get around to it and the nice thing is most of them don't require any major modification.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Just out of curiosity, why didn't the mechanic just suggest updating the existing system?

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
More $$$ for him silly.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
Vintage air makes a nice system for my 56 pick up. took up very little room in the cab, and uses a sanden compressor
Controls, and everything I needed, minus the hoses being built, and charging the system was $800 for the kit.
Not too shabby

I installed it myself, I imagine it would have been around $800 labor to install had my buddy Ray's shop done the work

I only use this as an example of pricing, I'm sure there is a system made specifically for his truck

DNFXDLI, perhaps with a lot of work we could have upgraded the old system. The AC radiator on front of the main radiator was pretty old and the connections were rough. Plus it appears that the original compressor would have had to be totally redone. That said, I still have all of the original parts if I wanted to go to the original with an upgrade. But honestly, the old system is very heavy and takes up a lot of room in there. I would be surprised if there weren't a more compact system that would do as good a job. But that is for another day. :)

Ford Truck Articles