Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

08 6.4 filled with e85

blacksnapon

Staff member
First vehicle back from vacation. Customer said "It runs really bad!". I can see no practical use for that stuff in ANY vehicle. One of the guys here took 10 gallons of it home to start brush fires...........it wouldn't catch fire!

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
6.4 as in diesel?

Filled with E85? He's damned lucky it won't catch fire...real gas would have done more damage.

Big Jim F150

73-79 Ford Trucks Rock
What was he thinking?? Or was he thinking at all?? He could have done some serious damage to that motor., by putting E85 in a diesel. All I have to say is that he was a DUMB A$$ for that thing would have went KA BOOM!! And he would have been finished. smilieFordlogo smilieFordlogo

Fellro

Staff member
Some stations put green handles on the E85, and also have diesel on the same pumps.

It won't go Kaboom though, just jack up the fuel system. That is one of the reasons alcohol is used to raise octane levels, less resistance to flare. It responds well to higher compression, just not diesel high compression. If it was so easy to make big fires, Henry Ford would have had problems using it on the first cars he produced and built for it... It is just moonshine, not propane or natural gas.

blacksnapon

Staff member
The diesel motors today have all components in the fuel system machined to such close tolerances, that they use the fuel for lubrication. There is little to no lubrication qualities in gas, alcohol, or e85 for that matter. Any damage would likely be in the injectors, high pressure fuel pump, low pressure pump. We're actually instructed to automatically replace all fuel related components when this type of mis-fueling is found. This was a customer pay job though (135k on mileage).

Fellro

Staff member
My mom put diesel in the 79 F250 we used to have once, both the diesel and gas were side by side on the farm back then. That was also before the smaller unleaded fill necks were used...

Ford Truck Articles