Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Need a Camshaft recomend to match my carb

SuperCab

Staff member
Montana
Duncan can be grouchy and a bit of a perfectionist sometimes. Don't mind him :D

I have done cheap stock rebuilds before... Nothing wrong with it as long as you understand what you're getting, which is a little more life out of a worn out engine. You will probably get under 100,000 miles out of it, where as a a machine shop reman may get you 200,000 or more.

As for LMC, I have bought many parts from them and been happy, but again, you do get what you pay for. Most of their parts are Chinese, and the fit isn't perfect on all of them. Never bothered me, but some people have higher standards, which is perfectly understandable.

To each his own, and good luck with your project!

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
Have you talked to Tim and done a price/quality comparison?

The two key words in this statement are "price/quality". If cheap is the goal, then the quality may suffer, but that is a personal choice.

I have not talked to tim yet. Got my price on my rebuild kit. Provided the motor needs no machine work.

345.00 for the kit Standard Size.

Rings, Oil pump, rod bearings, main bearings, cam bearings, Timing Set, and all gaskets except Intake.

Have not priced new lifters or push rods yet, still thinking on whether to keep the stock cam.

4BBL intake 230.00 from the local performance shop,

I have made arrangements if the motor needs Machine work, to go and visit family in Va and have, The Head Shop in Va Beach VA do the machine work.

Duncan can be grouchy and a bit of a perfectionist sometimes. Don't mind him :D

I don't mind, I am a Perfectionist too.

The motor may have been rebuilt not to long ago, Wont know till i get it apart, the motor has great compression and the only smoke is black, and that started after installing the 4bbl you can really smell the gas out the tail pipe.

I will say i will never use another 2bbl to 4bbl adapter plate.

I just want to clean and inspect the motor and just re fresh allot of the parts and improve on cam issue and re paint ( I hate Ford Blue ) Going with Grabber Green :WooHoo:

I have a '79 150 shortbed stepside 4x4 that I bought a couple of years ago. I just went thru the 400 last fall. The previous owner(owners) had things really screwed up! The engine already had an Edelbrock Performer manifold, headers and dual exhaust. The carb was a Holley 750 with jets about 10#s too large. Soot fell out of the exhaust pipes upon removal. The exhaust pipes were held up by the headers up front and the hitch in the rear. The stock distributor was frozen up and set at 20* advanced. Oil pressure was 20# driving and 3# at idle. And the fan was on BACKWARDS!!! This engine was due some help.
I pulled it apart and found the bore was 0.040" over, cylinders in good condition, crank in good condition and timing chain and cam in need of replacement.
Had the block vatted, power honed the cylinders and new cam bearing installed. I replaced the cam with a Comp Cam Kit 255DEH from Summit, A Holley 570 Street Avenger carb., HEI distributor, hi-volume oil pump, new ring & bearings and a valve job.
This engine now runs great, oil pressure at idle 25#, driving 60#, gas MPG up substantially.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts