Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Question for Blacksnapon

I am debating if I should use the VC9 because I already have a 10 degree delta when running unloaded at 65 mph on flat ground.

Previous history is as follows:

1-25-09 38,953 miles. Two gallons of antifreeze were replaced when the Ford dealer resealed the High Pressure Pump cover, or so the ticket says so.

12-4-09 50,300 miles. I drained the antifreeze and flushed 2 times with distilled water. Refilled with 50/50 mix Ford Yellow Gold and distilled water.

11-20-10 55,830 miles. I drained the radiater, filled with 2 quarts of VC9 and distilled water and drove the truck to heat up. It then took 12 flushes with 48 gallonds of distilled water to get the fluid to run clear again. I reilled with 50/50 mix of Yellow Gold and distilled water.

12-26-11 61,436 miles. I added a coolant filter and 3/4 of a gallon of Yellow Gold mix.

All of the coolant filters I removed show no signs of any gelling or caseting sand.

I am contemplating a VC9 flush and follong up with an ELC coolant.

In your opinion would I be stoppping my oil cooler up by using the VC9 again?

blacksnapon

Staff member
10 degrees is still well inside standards (15*max). With your coolant filter I don't think you'll have a problem.

Thanks for the reply.

I am assuming I should leave coolant filter in place and let the VC9 circulate through it while doing the flush?

In your opinion, should I remove the thermostat or leave it in to warm the temps during the flush?

blacksnapon

Staff member
Thanks for the reply.

I am assuming I should leave coolant filter in place and let the VC9 circulate through it while doing the flush?

In your opinion, should I remove the thermostat or leave it in to warm the temps during the flush?
Either/or works. Put the vc9 in, take it for a drive, then continue with your flush. Probably good idea to replace the thermostat then.

I have flushed twice with distilled water at this point. I think it will take a few more to get the distilled water to run clean. Last time it took 12 flushes. I may be pushing it to do this many flushes before the temps turn colder on Monday.

Any recomendations for an ELC antifreeze?

blacksnapon

Staff member
I have flushed twice with distilled water at this point. I think it will take a few more to get the distilled water to run clean. Last time it took 12 flushes. I may be pushing it to do this many flushes before the temps turn colder on Monday.

Any recomendations for an ELC antifreeze?
Personally, I see nothing wrong with the gold.

The Gold in my truck had too much "junk" in it when I flushed. It had been in for 4 years [20,000] miles. I use gold in my other 3 Fords without any issues. All of the flushing and chemicals with the Gold are a pain in the butt. At this point, I have used 32 gallons of distilled water and the system is still not clean. I plan to use Restore this weekend. I was hoping I would not have to do all of the cleaners and flushing with an ELC coolant, just drain and refill every 2 or 3 years. Opinions?

blacksnapon

Staff member
It had been in for 4 years [20,000] miles.
Here is the reason for all of the "junk". The 6.0 is happiest when you drive them. 5000 miles per year, things start happening. Now, you know that the gold is an extended life coolant (ELC), right? Bottom line, if you're comfortable with another brand, that's the thing to do.

Here is the reason for all of the "junk". The 6.0 is happiest when you drive them. 5000 miles per year, things start happening. Now, you know that the gold is an extended life coolant (ELC), right? Bottom line, if you're comfortable with another brand, that's the thing to do.

Knowing what I have reported on this truck, would you use Restore or just go back with the Ford Gold? I don't want to have to replace the cooler at this time. Thanks for your advice and help.

That is what I plan to do if I can ever get the distilled water to run clear again. I am at 50 gallons and counting. Thanks for your help.

That is 50 gallons of distilled water in addition to flushing with tap water. When it sits overnight with distilled water in it and I drive it for a while the next day the water darkens to a yellow color.

blacksnapon

Staff member
That is 50 gallons of distilled water in addition to flushing with tap water. When it sits overnight with distilled water in it and I drive it for a while the next day the water darkens to a yellow color.
It probably will. Remember, that's water touching cast iron. You're bound to get rust. Do your final drain, fill with anti freeze and water and call it good. The anti freeze has corrosion inhibitors.

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
It probably will. Remember, that's water touching cast iron. You're bound to get rust. Do your final drain, fill with anti freeze and water and call it good. The anti freeze has corrosion inhibitors.

that it does...

I would also leave your filter in place.. while you might not be able to see the particles its catching, it does catch something... sometimes its the scale/rust that builds up and eventually breaks off the inside walls of the block. other times its microscopic silica particles.. which the Gold does break down into very fine silica. Even flushes dont get it all out.. did mine twice and when i had to pull the radiator out due to busting one of the hose nipples off i still had a lot of white very fine white silica sitting in the bottom of it. reminded me of whole milk when it ran out of the hose..

my first filter caught a whole lot of stuff right after a flush..

IMG-20140404-00861_zpsca8073d9.jpg

after i let the stuff settle in the bottle for a week.

IMG-20140404-00856_zpseac262cb.jpg

2nd filter change
IMG-20140702-01259_zps7fe8be0a.jpg

didnt have as much

im still on the 3rd filter.. supposed to change it once a year starting with the 3rd. will come due to be changed in june.

that it does...

I would also leave your filter in place.. while you might not be able to see the particles its catching, it does catch something... sometimes its the scale/rust that builds up and eventually breaks off the inside walls of the block. other times its microscopic silica particles.. which the Gold does break down into very fine silica. Even flushes dont get it all out.. did mine twice and when i had to pull the radiator out due to busting one of the hose nipples off i still had a lot of white very fine white silica sitting in the bottom of it. reminded me of whole milk when it ran out of the hose..

my first filter caught a whole lot of stuff right after a flush..

IMG-20140404-00861_zpsca8073d9.jpg

after i let the stuff settle in the bottle for a week.

IMG-20140404-00856_zpseac262cb.jpg

2nd filter change
IMG-20140702-01259_zps7fe8be0a.jpg

didnt have as much

im still on the 3rd filter.. supposed to change it once a year starting with the 3rd. will come due to be changed in june.

I changed the Napa Gold Filter today {4070 I believe}. I have never seen such a rusted mess of a filter, but it was not stopped up. I am retired from Ford Motor Company and have always used Motorcraft parts but I am starting to rethink the Ford Yellow Gold coolant in the 6.0. I have seen neglected cooling systems from a Ford Service Department perspective but never anything that looked liked this. I would think an ELC coolant would last 4 years and 20,000 miles without these issues. I pulled another sample of distilled water this evening and it is closer to orange than yellow.

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
I changed the Napa Gold Filter today {4070 I believe}. I have never seen such a rusted mess of a filter, but it was not stopped up. I am retired from Ford Motor Company and have always used Motorcraft parts but I am starting to rethink the Ford Yellow Gold coolant in the 6.0. I have seen neglected cooling systems from a Ford Service Department perspective but never anything that looked liked this. I would think an ELC coolant would last 4 years and 20,000 miles without these issues. I pulled another sample of distilled water this evening and it is closer to orange than yellow.

alot of the 6.0 guys i know have converted theirs over to the Catapillar's ELC. Supposed to be good for 600,000 miles and the Powerstroke Performance guys at the last show i went to were recommending it as well. I switched mine from Motorcraft to Valvoline G-05. Supposedly the same company is who makes it for Ford anyways. (according to every magazine article ive read on it).. i didnt feel like paying ford the $13 a gallon they wanted.

I use to work for one of the local Chevy Dealerships for a few years. but grew tired of it. But the whole time i was there i didnt get to work on any diesels.

I would like to change to Rotella ELC but I am afraid to use the Restore, for fear of needing a new oil cooler, which should be done before the switch. I may start over with the VC9 this weekend. I planned to be through with this before the temps got this cold. I just hate the idea of doing the antifreeze knowing what the distilled water looks like at this time.

I flushed again this morning with 2 quarts of VC9 and distilled water. After driving for a couple of hours with cardboard in front of the radiator [180 to 185 coolant temps] the water I drained came out black. I filled again with distilled water and drove a couple of hours tonight at the same temps. The water in the degas bottle looks better this time. I will drain and refill tomorrow. I guess I may not have gotten the truck up to proper temps for the flush the first time.

Last edited:
Two more flushes today. Dark orange and darker yellow than Ford Gold. Will update later. Currently at 70 gallons of distilled water and countless gallons of tap water for the flush.

Ford Truck Articles