Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

300-6

1970Custom

They call me Spuds
Middleton, ID
What mods does everyone have for the stump pullers?

Thus far I've got the exhaust somewhat opened up, planning on an Offy intake and either a Motorcraft 2bbl or spurge for a 450cfm Edelbrock.

the only thing i've done to my 4.9 is a k&n intake..helped alot, and 3" flowmater on the fart side, not happy. seemes harder to start and the only "guess" i have is(lack of) back pressure. i'm not a motor-head. i'm going back to the 2 1/4" to see if that helps

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
The flowmasters don't flatter the 300 I6 very well. I know Andyman has a glasspack setup that seems to compliment the engine a lot more. So, Carl, before you decide to go back to stock, check out a glasspack.

Ryan

1970Custom

They call me Spuds
Middleton, ID
I intend to ditch the flowmaster on mine, only reason its there is because the stocker was blowed out and I needed something safer. Plans are to run it straight from the front to the back.

Yeah, I've got an 18inch glasspack after the cat, helped the overall flow quite a bit (especially on the highway) Be warned that your truck will have a high-resonance sound whenever you dig into the low RPM torque (800-2100RPM).

Yeah, I kinda like the sporty-like and smooth sound, and it sounds REALLY good when pulling things. I personally like the big V8 non-poppy sound a little better... but for 6 Cly's I couldn't ask for better YelloThumbUp

i'm not huge into the rumble aspect, would a 24" GP and as close to stock tail pipe cut back on the "loud" and help w/ back pressure? i'm totally exhaust "ignant"

Built '65 series 300c.i. (around 312c.i. now) I-6 w/ 300 H.P. @ 4600 rpm & 400 F.T.P. @ 3200 rpm w/ a 9.5-1 C.R.
It idels @ 675 & is smooth as glass, a quarter was placed on top of the Valve Cover & it Did Not move Nor rattle @ least on the stand anyway.

Ross Pistons 4.060
Hastings Power Flex Rings .060
Federal Mogul Mains .020 Under
Clevite Performance Bearings Std.
Federal Mogul Cam Bearings Std.
Melling Torque Cam
Melling H.V. Oli Pump
Eagle H-beam Rods 6.300 2.100 Rod Journal
Crane Gold Race Roller rockers
ARP Main Stud Kit, Rocker Studs,
Fisher International Ballancer
Bore 4.060
Power Hone 4.060
Mild P&P Intake & Exhaust
Performance valve job
Performance Balance job on Steele Crank w/ in 7 grams
Grind Rod Journals to 2.100
Plumb Intake for Heat via Water Pump
Deck Block to Square
Align hone to Factory specs
Deck block for Zero Deck
Offenhauser C Intake
Holley 1850 600 CFM
S.S. Borla 2 into 2 Header
8' of 3" tubes attached to Flowmaster 40's
4 Core Desert Radiator mated w/ the Original Radiator Housing
2 1,200 CPU Electric Fans, on @ 180*, off @ 170* mounted diaginally
MSD 6A Eclectronics Package & Coil
Dura spark II Electronic Ignition

the only thing i've done to my 4.9 is a k&n intake..helped alot, and 3" flowmater on the fart side, not happy. seemes harder to start and the only "guess" i have is(lack of) back pressure. i'm not a motor-head. i'm going back to the 2 1/4" to see if that helps

Sounds more like a loss of scavanging.

Hey, Colonel, did you do the port and polish or have it done? That looks like a stout hoss indeed!

Everything was done by the Pros from Dover @ JMS Racing Engines, "Olde Man" Johnson, his son, Mike & Howard their Crank guy.

Ford Truck Articles