Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

460 oil dipstick

Hello all, new guy here. I have a early '70's 460 with a rear sump oil pan, drain plug and dipstick tube on the left side. My problem is it has an incorrect dipstick installed and id like to know the proper one or the measurement from the top to full on the proper stick.

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
Welcome to FTF. I don't have an answer, but the link below from fordification.com provides some good information and part numbers for dipsticks. It sounds like there were quite a few used during that time.

http://www.fordification.com/tech/dipstick.htm

good reading but not related to 460 engine, there really are many combinations out there and I think first I need to identify my oil pan.

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
This might be helpful, it might not.

I rebuilt my 351 and bent the dipstick, so ordered a new one. It was 'compatible' but was not the correct part. The hash marks were not right.

So I fill up the right amount of oil for the motor then score the new dipstick so there's a mark for the new oil level.

Ryan

Yeah that's my problem, I dont know the oil pan capacity or where the oil level should be in relation to the dipstick tube opening in the pan

I've got a '76, and the correct quantity of engine oil is shown in both the owner's manual (under specifications & capacities, near the back) and in the truck shop manual. On my 460, it's 5 U.S. quarts in the pan and 1 in the filter, totaling 6. If you're doing Imperial quarts, the total is 5. To identify the exact dip stick, you'll probably need to know the exact year of production and the truck model.

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
Hello all, new guy here. I have a early '70's 460 with a rear sump oil pan, drain plug and dipstick tube on the left side. My problem is it has an incorrect dipstick installed and id like to know the proper one or the measurement from the top to full on the proper stick.
What is the application for the dipstick?

If you swapped a 460 into a 4WD pickup, there's no factory dipstick available, since there was no such thing as a 460 4WD pickup until 1983.

The only 460 with a rear sump pan from the 1970's: 1975/79 E250/350.

Ford Truck Articles