Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Bed Cover Questions

silverz51

Georgia Chapter member
Hi fellow Ford truck owners. I am considering buying a bed cover for my '94 F150 XLT with 6'5" bed. I first was thinking of something like the Extang Trifecta folding cover because it looks so neat and easy to install. The lowest price that I found however, is around $400, on line. Also, I want something that would allow me to set and use a truck tent with minimum hassle. The folding cover needs to be completely uninstalled each time I need the full bed of the truck...

I looked around some more and saw that the snap-on covers are available for my truck and they look to be much more convenient for my purpose because the top can be easily rolled up out of the way for use. Of course, the bows (3) would need to be removed and stored while the tent is up, but they would be much easier to store than the tri-fold cover assembly.

I found so far 2 choices that look promising:

The Extang Black Max on sale for $220 shipped http://www.truckaddons.com/Catalog/subpages/extangbedcovers3.asp

And the Lund Genesis Snap On cover for $194.99 shipped http://www.buyautotruckaccessories.com/product.cfm/cf-bin/pn.lund-genesis-snap-soft-tonneau-covers/

Anyway, I would appreciate input regarding your experience with these products.

Thanks!

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
My '97 Ranger had a snap-on tonneau on it when I got it. I'll never own another one on purpose. It was a pain to unsnap and roll up, and 10x worse to roll back out and snap down. If the temp was below 80*F, you had to park the truck in the sun for a couple hours to get it loose enough to stretch all the way to the tailgate.

I opted to go for a more conventional roll-up tonneau, but with velcro, this time around, but if memory serves there are at least some of those tri-fold ones that'll totally remove from the truck in under a minute. I'd go that route if you're really that concerned about it.

I might wish a snap-on tonneau on my worst enemy, but I sure as heck wouldn't recommend one to anyone else.

EDIT: both your links have rails that are clamped to the bedrails. You'll need tools to remove them. This is possibly even more of a pain than a snap-down tonneau already is.

Last edited:

crzybil87

C.R.A.Z.Y.B.I.L.L
I had and still have a roll up cover with snaps. I love it instead of using the clamps I bolted the rails for the bows to the top of the bed rail. I don't have much trouble rolling and unrolling it

silverz51

Georgia Chapter member
I had and still have a roll up cover with snaps. I love it instead of using the clamps I bolted the rails for the bows to the top of the bed rail. I don't have much trouble rolling and unrolling it

Thanks for the input. I wonder what makes the snap on cover such a nightmare for some people and a pretty good solution for others....

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
I had no issue with the several I had snap wise > and I live in cold claimate. Thye can be testy to get snapped at times.

As for folding they unclamp and throw under truck while using tent .

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
I had a snap cover on my old Dodge and it was not that bad except on really cold days it was a bit of an effort.

silverz51

Georgia Chapter member
The more I look at these covers and study them, the more I am leaning towards the Trifecta cover. It's about $100 more than the others but it looks like it would work very well and when it's removed there are no clamps, rails or anything else left on the sides of the bed. That's important because it would interfere with the tent...
tent4.jpg

tent8.jpg

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts