Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

head gasket blew rest of the way

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
Well that figured out the cooling problem. The head gasket was slightly leaking before but it popped the rest of the way tonight. Drove it home 30 miles though... made it without any overheat issues. built ford tough.

Faith. That's what my trucks name is now. Ive had to have so much faith with it only fits so right.

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
Faith is a good name!

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
You seem to be in the same boat I am lately...I just call mine Broke...because they keep breaking and making me broke. I could fancy it up, but I call em how I see em...hahahaha.

flareside_thunder

Florida Chapter member
You know, I hate to say this but my 92 LeSabre is the only one that looks absolutely horrible ( and I mean horrible) still fires right up, gives me no issues whatsoever and still gets around 30MPG if not more.....and I can't even drive it! My mom has been drivin it for the last 2 years and squeezing the life out of it. The OL's Dodge is sitting in the yard yet again broke (and I have no idea wtf is wrong with it) so she's drivin my truck and the Dizzle ain't even tagged yet otherwise I'd be drivin it, but it needs a couple things to be worthy as well......oh well, it's all a rat race.

Ridgerunner

Missouri Chapter member
Stillwater Ok
So Chris are you going to replace the head gaskets or rebuild the engine.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Try keepin three of em on the road.

Ummm...I do. Thunder has been sitting for 8 months now, Red has steering issues and the Bronco is nickel and diming me to death.

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
I'm not really surprised the way you keep hoping things just keep going honestly. Your rad was leaking for awhile then you get stuck. You know the headgasket has been leaking for awhile and still kept on going. When you let the repairs pile up you quickly run out of time. Still working on the Corsica too right? Hope you get it all done soon.

Ridgerunner

Missouri Chapter member
Stillwater Ok
Those are a b*tch to get off. At least the one for the 302 is.

Well lets see, I had a 85 F150 first year of the 302 EFI my son had off in 2 hours time the upper intake, the front of the engine(alt,ac,ps and such) exhaust pipes from the manifold. Just to get it to where he could finish unbolting everything before pulling it.

Fordzilla80

Ranger Lariat
Narnia
Well lets see, I had a 85 F150 first year of the EFI my son had off in 2 hours time the upper intake, the front of the engine(alt,ac,ps and such) exhaust pipes from the manifold. Just to get it to where he could finish unbolting everything before pulling it.

Well, did he have all the right tools?

When dad and I did it on his 87, we couldn't find anything that would fit in between the runners to get one of the bolts, so that just added to the fun. That's what made the job suck. That and we weren't even doing anything for the intake, we just needed to replace the passenger side valve cover gasket. The 300,302, and 351 upper intake plenum design is one of the dumbest i've ever seen. Unfortunately, Ford still thinks it's a good design, because I have a very similar upper intake plenum on my Ranger that leans over the driver's side valve cover.

Ridgerunner

Missouri Chapter member
Stillwater Ok
Well, did he have all the right tools?

When dad and I did it on his 87, we couldn't find anything that would fit in between the runners to get one of the bolts, so that just added to the fun. That's what made the job suck. That and we weren't even doing anything for the intake, we just needed to replace the passenger side valve cover gasket. The 300,302, and 351 upper intake plenum design is one of the dumbest i've ever seen. Unfortunately, Ford still thinks it's a good design, because I have a very similar upper intake plenum on my Ranger that leans over the driver's side valve cover.

Yes he used my tools and I had everything he needed. Once all the machine work was done it took him 4 hours to clean everything and put it together and put it in the day after. and a 1/4 in socket with a long extension fits in between the runners on the upper intake.

Ridgerunner

Missouri Chapter member
Stillwater Ok
Yea Dad didn't have a long enough 1/4 drive socket for it. We had to go out and buy a set.

Yeah we earned a few tricks from a friend who did a 302 swap in his Bronco and he didn't have everything he needed. What was suppose to be a afternoon swap turned into 2 days because of all the delays. I made sure that wasn't going to happen when we did my 85 3 years ago.

Ford Truck Articles