Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Pop in my front end

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
I'm a fan of the 3 lb drilling hammer for most purposes- it's designed to be swung all day, and has, IMO, much better balance and feel than any of the larger hand sledges.

The pickle fork is to separate the ball joint from the spindle, Chris. It's got a taper that is snugged down tight and then hasn't moved in years. You can try just beating it out if you use the nut to protect the end, but if it's really stuck that'll still be a problem. The pickle fork acts as a wedge and pops it apart much easier.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Yeah later last night I thought about it and realized how to use that thing. Wasn't thinkin. Turns out my brother's got one in his truckbed that he's going to drop off here in Davis on Friday. So I'm just gonna buy a BFH (mine's at moms) and do it here at my house :)

Hmmm... Is your pops gonna be around on Saturday? Would he wanna give us a hand on this project?

Well, he is coaching the HS wrestling team this year, and I am on the team so we have practice from 9AM to 11AM on Saturday. I will talk to him. :)

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Actually it looks like my brother might stop in Davis on Friday and give me a hand. I'll let you know if that plan goes through.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Band-aids are good, too. I bled all over my aluminum rim...

On a more serious note; make sure either you or your brother has a grease gun so you can grease the things.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Band-aids are good, too. I bled all over my aluminum rim...

On a more serious note; make sure either you or your brother has a grease gun so you can grease the things.
Good call-- grease gun is at my mom's house. Might have to buy one. Ours up there doesnt work very well anyway...

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Whelp... Tie rod ends are all replaced and I've still got the pop. In fact it seems even more pronounced now. Probably because the tie rods don't have slop to damper the pop anymore...

New development-- I was in the grocery store parking lot and cranked it into a spot and as I cranked the wheel it pops like 3 times rapid fire... So now I'm thinkin ball joints. What do you guys think?

Whelp... Tie rod ends are all replaced and I've still got the pop. In fact it seems even more pronounced now. Probably because the tie rods don't have slop to damper the pop anymore...

New development-- I was in the grocery store parking lot and cranked it into a spot and as I cranked the wheel it pops like 3 times rapid fire... So now I'm thinkin ball joints. What do you guys think?

Maybe...

On a different note: Why are you driving to the store? I walk to the store from farther away every day for lunch, and you drive your truck 2 minutes to get there... smilietease :wasntme:

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
Lock hubs in while jacked up . Spin tire by hand while tire is turned in or out . May have front u joint freezing up.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Yep...and while it's up in the air, put a bar under the tire and check the ball joints, too. Though I don't know that they tend to make the noise repeatedly, they're easy to check, so might as well...

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
Skan my truck seemed fine . But when I had tierod loose the one on drivers side could hardly turn spindle by hand . Bad ball jiont.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts