Ford Truck Fanatics  

Home Gallery TOTM New Posts My Threads / My Replies Links Sponsors Calendar Arcade Calculators Fliers
Go Back   Ford Truck Fanatics > Special Interest > Off-Road

Old 08-22-2011, 09:37 PM
Go Fast Turn Left

HazzardMadWolf is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckin4life View Post
347 will be enough for 35"s with the right gears. 4.88's is what i would suggest. As a trail rig and mudder, i don't see the need of a double. Unless your trying to fix driveline angles?

I'm not a fan of half ton axles, but you might be able to get away with it.
Big power will help save your axles in the mud, but will snap them like twigs on the trails. So that's something to keep in mind.

Personally. I would run a zf5 trans. But that's only because i love the ability to choose gears and not have to worry to much about trans temps....

You plan on running a link'ed suspension, leaf's coils? What's the plans?
Yeah the plan is for linked suspension, I've always wanted to try one and this is my opportunity. Gears since I will have to re gear anyways, i was thinking something over 5.00. I like the idea of a manual transmission, I too like to choose my gear. The front axle is out of a '79 F-250 so given the light weight I figure they'll work just fine.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-22-2011, 09:39 PM
The Token Canadian

Admin

DNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond repute
I'd be getting the deepest gear that you can given the application and look into aftermarket axle shafts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatherdoug View Post
I prefer to call it a passion, rather than a problem. That way it is self-justified.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasNomad View Post
I need your full mailing address, so I can fedex you a wet fart.

Old 08-22-2011, 09:45 PM
Texas Chapter Leader

Truckin4life has a reputation beyond reputeTruckin4life has a reputation beyond reputeTruckin4life has a reputation beyond reputeTruckin4life has a reputation beyond reputeTruckin4life has a reputation beyond reputeTruckin4life has a reputation beyond reputeTruckin4life has a reputation beyond reputeTruckin4life has a reputation beyond reputeTruckin4life has a reputation beyond reputeTruckin4life has a reputation beyond reputeTruckin4life has a reputation beyond repute
Yea. 5.28's are available, but i can't say i know what's available for 44 axles...

Chromo shafts will likely be needed. But really time will tell. I would budget to upgrade and if you break a shaft then go ahead and just do the Chromo's... Unless you feel like doing it to begin with.

As for the links. Good luck, i've done alot of reading and research on setting up 4-link suspensions. But i have never done it myself. Post lots of pics! I wish i could help but i have forgotten just about everything i know about em. Atleast i THINK i have forgotten most of the info, if anything comes to mind ill be sure to post it up.

Bacon is GOOD!

1995 F-250 "stock" 351winnie, zf5 and 37" rubbers....
(KIA)

Don
Old 08-22-2011, 09:45 PM
Go Fast Turn Left

Yeah, I plan on upgrading the axle shafts, U-joints all that good stuff. Given the NP205 is a rare find in my area, how about another good T-case?
Old 08-22-2011, 10:05 PM
Texas Chapter Leader

Truckin4life has a reputation beyond reputeTruckin4life has a reputation beyond reputeTruckin4life has a reputation beyond reputeTruckin4life has a reputation beyond reputeTruckin4life has a reputation beyond reputeTruckin4life has a reputation beyond reputeTruckin4life has a reputation beyond reputeTruckin4life has a reputation beyond reputeTruckin4life has a reputation beyond reputeTruckin4life has a reputation beyond reputeTruckin4life has a reputation beyond repute
205's aren't very rare. I don't see you having an issue finding one with in a day's drive...

Not sure, 205 is the common transfer case. 1356 has an aluminum case and i think its a chain driven case ( could be wrong ) I'm really out of the loop on transfer cases...

Bacon is GOOD!

1995 F-250 "stock" 351winnie, zf5 and 37" rubbers....
(KIA)

Don
Old 08-23-2011, 12:22 AM
Texas Chapter member

dragogt has a reputation beyond reputedragogt has a reputation beyond reputedragogt has a reputation beyond reputedragogt has a reputation beyond reputedragogt has a reputation beyond reputedragogt has a reputation beyond reputedragogt has a reputation beyond reputedragogt has a reputation beyond reputedragogt has a reputation beyond reputedragogt has a reputation beyond reputedragogt has a reputation beyond repute
1356 is chain drive but when used a doubler its perfect..

Search "1356 doubler" on Pirate to read all about it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nflfreak43 View Post
wjhat thee t**** man why you selllinh i kanat beleieve yyeou let tus talkak you ittno the ef 6 00 project!
Quote:
Originally Posted by F 150Cobra View Post
you are more confused than a chameleon in a box of skittles
'97 F250 LD 5.4 Auto

'91 Ranger XLT under who knows what construction.

'86 Ranger XL under who knows what construction.
Old 08-23-2011, 08:39 AM
Arrogant A-hole At-Large

LEB Ben has a reputation beyond reputeLEB Ben has a reputation beyond reputeLEB Ben has a reputation beyond reputeLEB Ben has a reputation beyond reputeLEB Ben has a reputation beyond reputeLEB Ben has a reputation beyond reputeLEB Ben has a reputation beyond reputeLEB Ben has a reputation beyond reputeLEB Ben has a reputation beyond reputeLEB Ben has a reputation beyond reputeLEB Ben has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckin4life View Post
Yea. 5.28's are available, but i can't say i know what's available for 44 axles... .
Yukon and US standard offer 5.38's for the front 44, and the same for a rear 60 (which I believe was being used)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HazzardMadWolf View Post
Yeah, I plan on upgrading the axle shafts, U-joints all that good stuff. Given the NP205 is a rare find in my area, how about another good T-case?
Now my question to you would be, I understand you already have the axle...but really break down the costs and see what you're going to throw at the thing. Regardless of how super-duper you make it...at the end of the day, you still have a D44. Which there is nothing wrong with, and I believe can be pretty capable, but for me, I'd weigh the pros and cons of building your axle, and even with a couple grand thrown at it, will still only be as strong as a stock 60.

As for the 205...pretty sure that has to be darn near the most common transfer case out there. I just scrapped a 205 and 203 over the last couple months that were in fine working order.

'77 250 400 Boggers (show)__'96 350 CC 460 SSR's (work)__'79 Bronco 400 35's (play)

Quote:
Inspired by Ian
We live in a society that keeps finding answers to problems people never knew they had.
I bow my head to Jesus, stand for my family, love only one woman, and am always proud of what I have.

Standing by my gun and Bible since 1986.

Ben
Old 08-23-2011, 03:00 PM
Go Fast Turn Left

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTfball68 View Post
Yukon and US standard offer 5.38's for the front 44, and the same for a rear 60 (which I believe was being used)

Now my question to you would be, I understand you already have the axle...but really break down the costs and see what you're going to throw at the thing. Regardless of how super-duper you make it...at the end of the day, you still have a D44. Which there is nothing wrong with, and I believe can be pretty capable, but for me, I'd weigh the pros and cons of building your axle, and even with a couple grand thrown at it, will still only be as strong as a stock 60.

As for the 205...pretty sure that has to be darn near the most common transfer case out there. I just scrapped a 205 and 203 over the last couple months that were in fine working order.
I've been searching around my area for the past year or so for a 203 to make a doubler in my truck. Let me say this, they are hard to find. Yes I can find them out of state, but as I am on somewhat of a tight budget having them shipped in is costly. Let alone spending the money to go get them myself. Granted I haven't looked for the 205 yet, I just assume it will just as hard to find. If I find one that's what I'll go with though. As far as the axles go, I need a Dana 60 for my truck, since that's where the Dana 44 is now (idiot PO). I just figure given how light the body of this thing is gonna be the 44's will work just fine. The 5.38 gear is exactly what I was thinking. I am just in the planning stages, which is why I came to you guy's. This has been all good feed back so far.
Old 09-05-2011, 11:29 AM

money_pit is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by HazzardMadWolf View Post
I've been searching around my area for the past year or so for a 203 to make a doubler in my truck. Let me say this, they are hard to find. Yes I can find them out of state, but as I am on somewhat of a tight budget having them shipped in is costly. Let alone spending the money to go get them myself. Granted I haven't looked for the 205 yet, I just assume it will just as hard to find. If I find one that's what I'll go with though. As far as the axles go, I need a Dana 60 for my truck, since that's where the Dana 44 is now (idiot PO). I just figure given how light the body of this thing is gonna be the 44's will work just fine. The 5.38 gear is exactly what I was thinking. I am just in the planning stages, which is why I came to you guy's. This has been all good feed back so far.
If you find one that needs to be shipped ask the seller to just give you the range box, you don't even need the rest of it that will save a lot in the shipping cost.