Ford Truck Fanatics  

Home Gallery TOTM New Posts My Threads / My Replies Links Sponsors Calendar Arcade Calculators Fliers
Go Back   Ford Truck Fanatics > Special Interest > Off-Road

Old 08-22-2011, 10:39 AM
Arrogant A-hole At-Large

LEB Ben has a reputation beyond reputeLEB Ben has a reputation beyond reputeLEB Ben has a reputation beyond reputeLEB Ben has a reputation beyond reputeLEB Ben has a reputation beyond reputeLEB Ben has a reputation beyond reputeLEB Ben has a reputation beyond reputeLEB Ben has a reputation beyond reputeLEB Ben has a reputation beyond reputeLEB Ben has a reputation beyond reputeLEB Ben has a reputation beyond repute
Understood...the only arena I was more or less concerned with were the rocks though. Because you'll want off idle, and you really don't need 6k unless you plan on flying over the obstable. And since he made mention of a tube chassis, only reason I could imagine running one is in the sand or on the rocks. Outside of a dedicated rock rig, I see no issues with a 347 either.

'77 250 400 Boggers (show)__'96 350 CC 460 SSR's (work)__'79 Bronco 400 35's (play)

Quote:
Inspired by Ian
We live in a society that keeps finding answers to problems people never knew they had.
I bow my head to Jesus, stand for my family, love only one woman, and am always proud of what I have.

Standing by my gun and Bible since 1986.

Ben
Sponsored Links
Old 08-22-2011, 10:43 AM
Texas Chapter member

dragogt has a reputation beyond reputedragogt has a reputation beyond reputedragogt has a reputation beyond reputedragogt has a reputation beyond reputedragogt has a reputation beyond reputedragogt has a reputation beyond reputedragogt has a reputation beyond reputedragogt has a reputation beyond reputedragogt has a reputation beyond reputedragogt has a reputation beyond reputedragogt has a reputation beyond repute
Well look at the Rock rigs that run a lil Honda whatever, cant tell me they have off idle tq; Its all about the gears and how you set it up... jmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by nflfreak43 View Post
wjhat thee t**** man why you selllinh i kanat beleieve yyeou let tus talkak you ittno the ef 6 00 project!
Quote:
Originally Posted by F 150Cobra View Post
you are more confused than a chameleon in a box of skittles
'97 F250 LD 5.4 Auto

'91 Ranger XLT under who knows what construction.

'86 Ranger XL under who knows what construction.
Old 08-22-2011, 10:46 AM
Redneck Prognosticator

O'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond reputeO'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond reputeO'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond reputeO'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond reputeO'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond reputeO'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond reputeO'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond reputeO'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond reputeO'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond reputeO'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond reputeO'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond repute
Why would you do a 347 instead of a 351w? Sounds like a ton of work for a minor amount of weight and a slightly less reliable motor.

Ryan
Old 08-22-2011, 10:54 AM
Texas Chapter member

dragogt has a reputation beyond reputedragogt has a reputation beyond reputedragogt has a reputation beyond reputedragogt has a reputation beyond reputedragogt has a reputation beyond reputedragogt has a reputation beyond reputedragogt has a reputation beyond reputedragogt has a reputation beyond reputedragogt has a reputation beyond reputedragogt has a reputation beyond reputedragogt has a reputation beyond repute
Whats less reliable about it? IF built right I see no reason it cant be 100,000 mile'er and a 302/ 347 is slightly smaller than a 351 Maybe he needs the space...

Quote:
wjhat thee t**** man why you selllinh i kanat beleieve yyeou let tus talkak you ittno the ef 6 00 project!
Quote:
'97 F250 LD 5.4 Auto

Old 08-22-2011, 10:57 AM
Arrogant A-hole At-Large

LEB Ben has a reputation beyond reputeLEB Ben has a reputation beyond reputeLEB Ben has a reputation beyond reputeLEB Ben has a reputation beyond reputeLEB Ben has a reputation beyond reputeLEB Ben has a reputation beyond reputeLEB Ben has a reputation beyond reputeLEB Ben has a reputation beyond reputeLEB Ben has a reputation beyond reputeLEB Ben has a reputation beyond reputeLEB Ben has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragogt View Post
Well look at the Rock rigs that run a lil Honda whatever, cant tell me they have off idle tq; Its all about the gears and how you set it up... jmo

Fair enough...I suppose it would then come down to preference, and personally, I don't want my motor spinning 5k to do something that can be done at 1-2k.

'77 250 400 Boggers (show)__'96 350 CC 460 SSR's (work)__'79 Bronco 400 35's (play)

Quote:
Inspired by Ian
We live in a society that keeps finding answers to problems people never knew they had.
I bow my head to Jesus, stand for my family, love only one woman, and am always proud of what I have.

Standing by my gun and Bible since 1986.

Ben
Old 08-22-2011, 10:58 AM
Redneck Prognosticator

O'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond reputeO'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond reputeO'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond reputeO'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond reputeO'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond reputeO'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond reputeO'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond reputeO'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond reputeO'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond reputeO'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond reputeO'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond repute
What do you mean what's less reliable? The 351w is designed to have the longer stroke, will only need a minor bore, etc. Why stroke out a motor if you can have basically the same platform with similar cubes that is more reliable? It has bigger head bolts and is less likely to blow a head gasket.

Ryan
Old 08-22-2011, 11:37 AM
Texas Chapter member

And with that comes a wider/ bigger foot print requiring more room for the same benefits, now if he was talking BB then yeah a 408/ 418 would be a better choice..

Quote:
Quote:
'97 F250 LD 5.4 Auto

Old 08-22-2011, 06:45 PM
Go Fast Turn Left

HazzardMadWolf is on a distinguished road
Ok lets answer some questions here. Using the 302/347 because the motor was given to me. Axles I already have as well. Plan on using it for a trail rig and mudding. Size of tires is yet to be determined, I know even though I have a 8 lug Dana 44 front it still might not handle the larger tires. I'm thinking 35/36 probably is as big as I'm gonna go. I want a good solid transmission and transfer case to go with it though. I like the doubler suggestions but I may not go that route. The chassis I am modifying is an old sprint car chassis, so this will probably be a 1 seater. I believe the 347 will be plenty of power for anything I want to do.
Old 08-22-2011, 07:48 PM
Texas Chapter Leader

Truckin4life has a reputation beyond reputeTruckin4life has a reputation beyond reputeTruckin4life has a reputation beyond reputeTruckin4life has a reputation beyond reputeTruckin4life has a reputation beyond reputeTruckin4life has a reputation beyond reputeTruckin4life has a reputation beyond reputeTruckin4life has a reputation beyond reputeTruckin4life has a reputation beyond reputeTruckin4life has a reputation beyond reputeTruckin4life has a reputation beyond repute
347 will be enough for 35"s with the right gears. 4.88's is what i would suggest. As a trail rig and mudder, i don't see the need of a double. Unless your trying to fix driveline angles?

I'm not a fan of half ton axles, but you might be able to get away with it.
Big power will help save your axles in the mud, but will snap them like twigs on the trails. So that's something to keep in mind.

Personally. I would run a zf5 trans. But that's only because i love the ability to choose gears and not have to worry to much about trans temps....

You plan on running a link'ed suspension, leaf's coils? What's the plans?

Bacon is GOOD!

1995 F-250 "stock" 351winnie, zf5 and 37" rubbers....
(KIA)

Don
Old 08-22-2011, 07:49 PM
Texas Chapter Leader

Truckin4life has a reputation beyond reputeTruckin4life has a reputation beyond reputeTruckin4life has a reputation beyond reputeTruckin4life has a reputation beyond reputeTruckin4life has a reputation beyond reputeTruckin4life has a reputation beyond reputeTruckin4life has a reputation beyond reputeTruckin4life has a reputation beyond reputeTruckin4life has a reputation beyond reputeTruckin4life has a reputation beyond reputeTruckin4life has a reputation beyond repute
As for the engine, free is hard to beat.

But as far as reliability. There is NO replacement for Displacement...

Why build an engine when you can get the same thing factory?

If your crunching for 3" in a tube chassis then i could see it... maybe.

Bacon is GOOD!

1995 F-250 "stock" 351winnie, zf5 and 37" rubbers....
(KIA)

Don