Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Getting ready for the road

bucks77ford

We will Rise Again
I'm hoping to get my other truck 75 F250 supercab 2wd ready for an 8 hour trip from Nebraska to Minnesota later this summer and just looking for some advice on getting ready for the trip. The truck had been sitting for 3 years and I recently drove it around and everything seemed to work just fine. Brakes seemed OK, tranny slipped a bit at first, but then never had any problems. I did have to put a different ignition box on to get it to fire, but other than that, it ran pretty decent. There is a slight sputter to it so I'm sure the carb needs tuned and possibly spark plugs/wires. I was going to do that and change all the fluids. If I have the time, I'm going to check the wheel bearings and rebleed the brake system. I figured when I have time this fall and winter I can tinker with some more things, but mainly I just want to have it make the trip. I also am going to replace the tires. If anyone has any good advice, let me know.

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
I'm hoping to get my other truck 75 F250 supercab 2wd ready for an 8 hour trip from Nebraska to Minnesota later this summer and just looking for some advice on getting ready for the trip. The truck had been sitting for 3 years and I recently drove it around and everything seemed to work just fine. Brakes seemed OK, tranny slipped a bit at first, but then never had any problems. I did have to put a different ignition box on to get it to fire, but other than that, it ran pretty decent. There is a slight sputter to it so I'm sure the carb needs tuned and possibly spark plugs/wires. I was going to do that and change all the fluids. If I have the time, I'm going to check the wheel bearings and rebleed the brake system. I figured when I have time this fall and winter I can tinker with some more things, but mainly I just want to have it make the trip. I also am going to replace the tires. If anyone has any good advice, let me know.

Will you be able to drain the old gas out? If not take some extra fuel filters, and add some seafoam to the tank. Might also want to check the timing before you leave. Take some extra fuses, since glass fuses are not as readily available as they used to be. I'm sure you have already thought of all of this, though.

bucks77ford

We will Rise Again
There was hardly any fuel in the tank when it was sitting and I have ran about 3/4 tank of good fuel through it already, but will change out the fuel filter. Good idea about the fuses. I didn't think about that. I probably will just replace the distributor, cap and rotor since the one in there was a replacement that I found just lying around the salvage yard. It worked, but I'm always hesitant on how long. Thanks for the reply.

Sounds like you guys got it covered. :)

Check the sound and feel of the bearings in your alternator, idler pulleys,
water pump, A/C clutch etc. They can take out a belt. IME I've mostly
just needed my tools with me since parts can be bought. The parts I've
carried have almost entirely been used to fix other peoples vehicles! No
kidding, because mine's never broke down and left me stranded, ever.

"new noises are bad" -Alvin

Since you're not familiar with yours... check out -all- the noises? LOL :)

Alvin in AZ

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I don't know how much long distance drive time you've put behind it, but I'd want to get it good and hot to make sure the waterpump is good, and make sure there's no pin pricks in the radiator or hoses. I'd probably do a compression check on all the cylinders too, just make sure they're all within tolerance and you don't lose a cyclinder half way through the trip.

primetime

sawmill slave
I`d do what you already have planned, grab some tools, and kick the tires and light the fires.

Ford Truck Articles