Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

2008 Escape

i must say, im not a fan of the escape, but i do like the new body style, has more of an explorer look to it.

Another cool thing is the electric steering, very easy to manuver in the shop.

Electric steering?

polarbear

just growing older not up
Boring, Oregon
Yep- electric power steering. Same thing on a variety of GM products right now. Easy to maneuver, but you give up quite a bit of "road feel" on the highway.

re: Hybrid break-in. The real reason they need a break in to get the expected fuel mileage has to do with the battery. They just have a flash-charge going out of the plant, and the motor works more than it normally should until the battery's completely charged.

And yeah, an Escape is real high up on our list for the next vehicle. Not sure if the Hybrid pencils out, but wifey would probably do just fine with a regular 4-banger instead of the V6 for running around.

d-kuzmen

Master Ford Tech
Connecticut
Yep- electric power steering. Same thing on a variety of GM products right now. Easy to maneuver, but you give up quite a bit of "road feel" on the highway.

re: Hybrid break-in. The real reason they need a break in to get the expected fuel mileage has to do with the battery. They just have a flash-charge going out of the plant, and the motor works more than it normally should until the battery's completely charged.

And yeah, an Escape is real high up on our list for the next vehicle. Not sure if the Hybrid pencils out, but wifey would probably do just fine with a regular 4-banger instead of the V6 for running around.

Electric steering is cool, I wouldn't recomend a hybrid to anyone, they don't goto electric unless your at a stop or just about stoped, and up to I think it is 30 mph and any real push of the gas pedal kicks on the engine. I really don't like them and think they do as good as a regular gas. I also highly recomend the 6cyl models, just don't drive with a lead foot.

Electric steering is cool, I wouldn't recomend a hybrid to anyone, they don't goto electric unless your at a stop or just about stoped, and up to I think it is 30 mph and any real push of the gas pedal kicks on the engine. I really don't like them and think they do as good as a regular gas. I also highly recomend the 6cyl models, just don't drive with a lead foot.

On mine, you have to be under 40 and off the gas, the gas engine will shut off and electric will take over. Easy on the gas, no load, (level or downhill) and under 40 you'll stay on electric until the battery needs to charge.

My best speed under electric is about 42 mph. Downhill and riding the brake (this charges the battery).

Our goal is to bring it home with the mileage equal to or better than when we left. Our highest has been 34.4 while in town but by the time we got home (uphill) it was down to 33.5.

Oh, and by the way...

3 things guys lie about,

How often they get laid

How big they are

and

How good of gas mileage the get.

F 150Cobra

"Wild HoRsE" Got Torque?
Aruba
i like them allot.. i predeliver them at the ford dealer where i worked my summer job... they are very nice.. ohh yeah a 4 banger should do just fine polarbear...

the one thing im going to say bout the hybrid, god forbit your in an accident, FireFighters and ems are going to be leary bout extraction. theres high voltage there and they could be zapped while using the JOL... and if you plunge into water, forget bout extraction

polarbear

just growing older not up
Boring, Oregon
the one thing im going to say bout the hybrid, god forbit your in an accident, FireFighters and ems are going to be leary bout extraction. theres high voltage there and they could be zapped while using the JOL... and if you plunge into water, forget bout extraction

Really things I wouldn't worry about. Ya know, you can get hit by an asteroid too, but I'm not going to lie awake at night thinking about it. I've driven a couple of Escape Hybrids (and Tahoes, come to think of it), and can't say I mind how they drive out- although they "feel" very different than their conventional siblings.

What I am concerned about is whether the $$$ premium will actually convert into real savings. That's why we're leaning towards a 4 cyl, if we go the hybrid route. An Impala is strongly in the running as well.

Ford Truck Articles