Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

302 Warm Starting Problem

Hey Y'all,

Lately my 1985 F-150 with a EFI 302 has been having a starting problem, but only when warm. When the engine is cold, it will start up great, but when i try to start it when the engine is hot it starts really hard.

I've heard it may not be getting enough fuel pressure or the fuel filter is clogged.

Where is the fuel filter and the fuel regulator?

Any one know what the problem is?

F 150Cobra

"Wild HoRsE" Got Torque?
Aruba
Hey Y'all,

Lately my 1985 F-150 with a EFI 302 has been having a starting problem, but only when warm. When the engine is cold, it will start up great, but when i try to start it when the engine is hot it starts really hard.

I've heard it may not be getting enough fuel pressure or the fuel filter is clogged.

Where is the fuel filter and the fuel regulator?

Any one know what the problem is?

the starter turns hard? or the engine wont fire??

mtflat

Flatheads Forever
The fuel pressure regulator goes bad all at once and when it does it dumps all the fuel into #8 cylinder (driver's side rear) creating near hydraulic lock. Diagnose by removing #8 plug and crank it over just a couple of revs. If the reg has gone bad it'll blow fuel out the plug hole big time. (Avoid sparks down there and keep a fire extinguisher handy)

Hard start hot - could be poor electrical connections between battery, starter, ground, solenoid, etc.
Starter beginning to fail or soleniod failing.
Or could be a bad ignition control module on the distributor - they fail when hot and I've had them do some mighty strange things.

1985 Ford F-150

Country Boys Can Survive
Tooele, Utah
Ok I gotcha now mine is doin the same thing I got the same motor you got. I think mine is the fuel pump but it might be the filter. Change the filter and see if it works. What I do to get mine to start is turn the key on and not start it for a minute and then itll usually start right up.

try this...

i jumped in the truck the engine was hot...
"tapped" the gas to the floor
and immediater turned the key from all the way off to start!
fired right up
i did not wait for the emmsions light to go out!

damaged how?

damaged how?
and the efi aint doin whats its supposed to do in the first place!
i got the same problem and we arent the only ones ...
sound like a design problem/computer glitch!

'smiliecrazy'
'smiliecrazy'
'smiliecrazy'

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
check your fuel pressure at the shrader fitting on the fuel rail. if you have fuel pressure, then check for spark. my guess is the ign modual, as stated earlier.

fixing the starting problem

hey
i have heard people say that it is the starter when it gets warm the internal parts don't work right but i have always had problems with the distributers in mine. so far i have had a 351, 300-6, and now a 460 in my f-150 and all did the same thing but they had mechanical fuel pumps and it was the distributer everytime
good luck

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts