Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

302 Ranger progress

FTF'er

Hey all, I've decided it would be a good idea to swap a 5.0 HO into my Ranger since I had the engine laying around.

Here is a link to the 4 banger coming out... http://www.fordtruckfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12633

The bolts in the transmission cross member bushings were frozen, but I still managed to get the 4 banger out and the 302 in with the transmissions still connected to them... all by myself 'smiliedoh'

Here are a few pics just after dropping it in and fabbing a transmission mount adapter plate. Sorry, I don't have any progress pics of it going in since I was working alone.

The wiring should be real easy. There is no plan really, I'm just going to tackle the issues one at a time as I come to them.

5-20-09003.jpg

5-20-09001.jpg

5-20-09004.jpg

FTF'er

And here's a pic of the Ranger. It's from when the dealer had it listed online, but it's the only pic I have of the exterior.

9300992610254345137IM103565x421_A56.jpg

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Looking good. I might build me one of them one day...

What trans is on the back of that 302? Did you run into any clearance issues with the heater box, or anything else, installing the 302?

FTF'er

It's got an AOD. If the AOD ever quits, I'll have it built up instead of switching to a manual.

My engine is from a '92 Thunderbird, which I believe has the same accessory brackets as the 94-95 Mustangs. The only clearance issue I've run into was that the bracket where the A/C compressor mounts needed a small notch taken out of it to clear the threaded stud thing coming out of the top of the steering box. I may or may not be able to mount the compressor... I haven't tried yet. The heater box didn't need cut, and there are a few inches between the head and the box. I don't have any headers yet, so I may still run into some clearance problems with them.

CowboyBilly9Mile

Charter Member
USA
Looks like you're on your way! What issues are you going to run into getting a radiator + fan in there?

FTF'er

There are a few choices for the radiator and fan. A mechanical fan would be very difficult, if not impossible, to fit in there, so most likely I'll use an e-fan from the junkyard for a stock application of some vehicle. I've got a 2 speed fan from a Mercury Villager that moves a lot of air.

A custom made aluminum radiator would cost the most, and is way overkill for my stock 302.

The stock radiator from a 5.0 Explorer or a Ranger 4.0 HD cooling with A/C and auto trans can be made to work.

I'm going to measure the room I have to work with and then go to the junkyard and see what I can find. Something from a 3.8 Windstar with the dual electric fans may be able to squeeze in there.

I have a stock transmission cooler from a full size truck or van... it's huge though. I'm hoping there's enough room to mount it behind the grill.

FTF'er

I'm going to eventually swap in an Explorer rear axle. The Ex rear is about 1.5" wider than the Ranger rear and will be a 31 spline 8.8 with trac-loc and disc brakes. Then have these guys http://www.weldcraftwheels.com/Wide.htm widen the rear wheels about 2 or 3 inches to the inside (towards the leaf springs). That would allow me to run some fat tires but still appear somewhat stock. It has 255's now... but wider would always be nice.

Im pretty interested with this mod. Any progress lately?

FTF'er
I haven't been able to work on it much lately. There's not a lot that needs done, but it will still take me forever. I'll update this thread with progress in a week or two.

FTF'er
I used factory mounts for a '95 Mustang GT. I just had to cut a slot for the bolts to go in the Ranger crossmember.

RangerPilot

Boom Shaka Laka
Dallas, TX
Hey 5.0...I just noticed this thread (because I pay zero attention to anything other than shiny objects), but if you need any help lemme know, I did the swap on my '94 back in the day (albeit with a carburetted and slightly built motor, and manual tranny).

What do you plan on using for rad?

Zach any diff in the crossmembers between the 2.3 and the 2.9?

FTF'er
Thanks Zach, I'll be sure to ask you if I run into some problems. How much of a difference did you notice from the 4.0 to 5.0? I'm going from a 2.3 to 5.0, so it should be real noticeable.

I think the cross member is the same regardless of engine, but with different mounts bolted to it. The 4x4 cross member and mounts are different than the 2wd.

I plan to use am aluminum radiator from ebay that's made for a Maverick with a 302, auto, and air. I also have a 2 speed Taurus fan to keep things cool. The radiator should be super simple to install since it has flat flanges that bolt to the core support similar to the old 73-79 F-series trucks. The engine side of the radiator also has some flanges that the fan will bolt directly to. The fan is the exact size as the radiator core.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

339R.jpg

RangerPilot

Boom Shaka Laka
Dallas, TX
That's a sweet lookin' radiator...I went with the radiator from a 5.0L equipped Exploder. Took virtually no work to make fit. I used the fans out of a Dodge Caravan (yeah yeah, insert minivan jokes here).

The 2.3L to 4.0L (I've driven both) is night to day...the 2.3L to 5.0L, even stock, should be 4 AM to sunshine-in-your-face, screaming people next door shaking you into a violent stage of awake difference.

I modded the 302 before dropping it in pretty markedly and noticed a wonderful difference. First gear was a pain, as the Ranger has so little traction to begin with (the 4.0L would light 'em up no problem in first), but in second, after burning the tires, it'd take off, and even in third, after burning them again, it'd pull like nobody's business. The fastest I had it was a bit over 130, and the Ranger is surprisingly stable at that point. ON A CLOSED COURSE!!!

Everything from my swap, from parts specs to prices to pictures to dyno and quarter mile stuff, is on my other computer (which requires a new power supply). I'll get as much of it up as soon as I can.

Ford Truck Articles