Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

new truck - 88 Ranger

countryboytn

'78 Bronco owner
got it straightened out, fuel pump on the frame rail was backwards (even though thats how it showed the flow being), and was pushing back to the tank. Flipped it around, ran toggle switch for pumps, and runs/drives better than ever before.

countryboytn

'78 Bronco owner
Yeah, I can't believe I didn't think of that before.. the pump must have been marked wrong though, cause I swear that arrow showing flow was pointed to the front of the truck. Or maybe I had just been working on it to long at that point to know which was which. :headbang:

side note, if anybody wants to buy it, I'll take $1500 for it... that's what I'v got it in right now. Not pushing to sell it, but would like something 5speed. :wasntme:

primetime

sawmill slave
10 years ago I bought an 84. 2.8, 4-speed, 4" suspension lift, 3" body lift, blown out rearend and no reverse. $150. Bombed it around on the front axle for a 1000 miles, threw a ring and pinion in the rear end and sold it for $300. Should`ve kept that one. It was fun.

countryboytn

'78 Bronco owner
Great when you resolve those "nagging" problems. Post some more pic's before you sell it, lets see that truck flex!

former B2 owner :)

Ill do you one better. I have pics and videos..and give me a day or to its gonna be straight exhaust into a 5 inch turnout stack.

countryboytn

'78 Bronco owner
Well, update time.. truck was down for a few days. Wheel bearings went out and then spindle stripped off when I was replacing them. (junk yard only item..), got both sides done, and the brakes went out on it... so now it's got new wheel bearings, rotors, calipers, and pads on both sides. Then the trans decided to go out... so picked up a used trans/tourqe converter for $300, and thats where I need yall's help.

Trans has been acting up past week or so, it wouldn't act like it was going into neautral when you was acclerating hard. Then the other night it just stopped pulling all together, it still drops into gear, but won't pull. and what does the plug on the side of the trans do? cause it got wrapped up in the front driveshaft and it jerked all the wires out of it.

smokey

Hitech hillbilly
Staff member
The plug is for the over drive.
Your main problem is the transmission itself it is a A4LD there are two kinds of A4LD's Junk and those waiting to be junk. switch it over to a manual and you will have a reliable truck.

tedrow42

Missouri Chapter member
The plug is for the over drive.
Your main problem is the transmission itself it is a A4LD there are two kinds of A4LD's Junk and those waiting to be junk. switch it over to a manual and you will have a reliable truck.

I only have manual trans just for this reason lol, I don't trust autos

countryboytn

'78 Bronco owner
So it should still pull? Even with the plug ripped out? And I would Love to switch it over but it seems like a lot of work

smokey

Hitech hillbilly
Staff member
Actually the swap it's pretty easy. The actual transmission and clutch are easy.the worst part is hanging the pedals under the dash.
You don't have to remove the seat but it gives you more room to work to get the pedals hung in there without standing on head.
The actual transmission swap I can do in about 2 hours minus the pedals and bleeding the clutch.

countryboytn

'78 Bronco owner
Know of any tech right ups on it? I just bought this auto trans...but I'm not opposed to selling/trading it to get a manual.. I'd rather replace clutches then transmissions, plus I'd rather have a manual.

I know where there is two or three trucks at the junk yard, that are identical to mine but 5speed. Just trans, pedal assembly and master cylinder is basically it, aint it?

smokey

Hitech hillbilly
Staff member
You will also need the drive shafts. Might still have the write up from a few years ago. I will look and let you know. If not I can write one up from memory I have done so many.

smokey

Hitech hillbilly
Staff member
I couldn't find what I had from years ago.
Here is what you will need.
1.The FM146 Transmission.
( the TK or the FM 145 or the M5OD will work but require a little more work you will need drives shafts if you use these.)
2. Transmission slave cylinder ( I would get a new one)
3. Peddle assembly
4. Clutch master cylinder and reservoir
5. The floor plate where the shifter comes out the hump
6. 4wd shifter for trans you use
7. The flywheel
8. clutch pressure plate and disc.
Try and get all the bolts and linkage off the donor truck will make life so much stress free.

Remove the seat it will make hanging the pedals so much easier.
You may have to remove the parking brake pedal bracket to hang the pedals in.
Remove the transmission and flywheel
install you NEW flywheel and clutch (use your clutch alignment tool) and don't forget the pilot bearing.
Install the clutch master cylinder and route the line down to the transmission.
mount your transmission in place.
Attach the slave.
Fill the transmission from inside the cab down the shifter hole. (it much easier that way)
install your shifter You will need that part also.
Bolt up all you drive shafts. seal the new transmission to the transfer case with RTV sealant.
Bleed the clutch You will need a friend to help pump the clutch( this can be a PITA to get all the air out some times.)

Now for the wiring. On the underside cut the 5 plug wires and spliced the red/blue and the orange or pink to the neutral safety plug wires. Now the vehicle should start only if the transmission in neutral only.
I think that is the most of it. If you run into any trouble just post up.
Edit:
Forgot the backup lights the wire I think is black with a pink stripe and the power wire is purple and orange.
You MAY have to retime the engine as the timing is different on autos and manual.

Last edited:

countryboytn

'78 Bronco owner
Thanks! For right now, I gotta live with the auto. Soon though, I'll hopefully be swapping it over or finding a 5speed.

Here's some videos I promised I'd put up, these are from before the trans tore up... I been working to much to mess with the trans.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts