Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

glow plugs

hey, so manged to successfully change the plugs in my Ranger recently, and now I contemplating doing my glow plugs... is this a comparable task? I have heard they can be tricky. Also, any particular brand anyone suggest? TIA

flareside_thunder

Florida Chapter member
Motorcraft brand is the general consensus from others' experience with different brands. They can be a bit tricky sometimes, yes. Some people loosen them up a bit and spray PB'laster down the glowplug bore to loosen/soften any carbon build IP that is present. In the event that a glowplug tip does break upon removal, commence to cussing cause you'll be pulling the head. Just take your time and you'll be golden.

hmm, alright, thanks... might let the mechanic do this one. we'll see.

Fellro

Staff member
As mentioned, it all depends on the rust, carbon, and swelling of the tip on how hard they come out. Main consensus generally is that the Motorcraft Berus are the plug to use for little to no trouble, at least on removal in the future

alright thanks again Fellro, I value your insight. (and yours too Flareside :)
I gonna guess with 135,000 miles, mine might be the originals...

SuperCab

Staff member
Montana
I did the glowplugs in an '89 once... Not a big deal at all, but it had been pretty well maintained... Just slow and carefull and you can probably do it yourself...

Update! lol, so as it turns out my local mechanic is a fellow IDI owner :beer:
he was pretty adament I learn to change these little buggers out, and showed me how to do it. I went and got a test light like he explained, checked all of 'em, found two on back passenger side that were bad: (see attached photo), and changed 'em, no biggie, haven't fired up the 'ol girl yet, I'll get to that later in the week.
New question: really wanna loose the soup bowl, was thinking about just taking a sawzall to it...
Also, is crud in the bottom of the air intake aparatus a bad thing? probably not good, here's a pic:
actually never mind, cannot upload photos, exceeded my quota...
anyway, just wanted to share, hope this will improve overall performance, of my truck smilieFordlogo

Fellro

Staff member
The soup bowl isn't the biggest deal, but some have cut them off. Mine actually had the hole in the bottom about half the size that you are seeing if you have the soup bowl lid. I had a flat lid from the factory, but had that small hole. Cut that to the right size, made a difference for sure.

Last edited:
hey Fellro, yeah, mine does have a hole in the bottom too, the biggest issue is just trying to stuff everything back together with that darn thing.
Just looked at your gallery btw, good stuff there!
Might be gettin' my hands on a Danna 44 for the front of my Ranger, now if only a 4bt would show up on my doorstep... :p

Fellro

Staff member
Of course it has a hole.. Mine was like 2.5" instead of the full 4" or so of the intake.

Ford Truck Articles