Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

'04 Explorer 4wd

hello, I'm looking at a 2004 Explorer, not too familiar with these, but I think it is a good looking vehicle, this particular one is fairly clean. 115,000 mi, guy is asking $6k, I'm thinking $5k, has rebuilt tranny. any free advice? smilieFordlogo

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
I agree with Randy. Those transmissions are good for about 150k, other than that they run and run and run and run and run. I'd love to own one.

Ryan

CowboyBilly9Mile

Charter Member
USA
5R55E tranny had a valve body to case gasket that cracked/blew and resulted in, IIRC, lazy 1-2 and 2-3 upshifts. Ford corrected this well prior to 04 so it's a bit odd that the tranny has been rebuilt without reason some reason (not that it matters at this point). Maintained and not abused, they can go 200k+ miles without problems. On the engine, the OHC tensioner and cassettes issues were resolved by late 03 so that shouldn't be a major concern. However, a few unlucky people have had "the problem", so with that in mind, listen for the warning sign, which normally is a rattle around 2000-2500RPM on a cold engine under moderate acceleration (sounds like spark knock). Always run a good quality oil in it and a quality filter (Motorcraft, Wix, never a Fram, Pennzoil which is a Fram or Purolator). Some people think the tensioners should be replaced along the way as a matter of precaution, IMO, if it makes a guy happy do it but I'd suggest use only Motorcraft ones, no aftermarket, based on other peoples comments and experiences. These engine *can* make a bit of noise on startup for a split second; these is the timing chains moving around a bit as the tensioners are filling as the oil pressure builds. And this in part, is why you must be picky about the brand of the oil and filter, restriction and/or too high of an oil viscosity delays this; not a good thing.

*If that small, short noise on startup ever gets louder, I would strongly encourage you to promptly replace the tensioners (a DIY task). Failure to do so may/will take out the cassettes, which are a PITA to replace and not cheap at a shop because of this. Remember what I said about the brand of tensioners to use? :D

Last edited:
thanks for the replies, good info Cowboy, my '04 Ranger has been great, but it's only 2wd.
Been looking for a newer Subaru, but heard some issues with those too. Still looking and thinking, thanks.

Ford Truck Articles