Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Spark plug time

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
Unless it's a diesel anything, for many years now, properly running Fords don't really *stink* other than briefly after a cold start and *maybe* going up a hill with the pedal floored. Now on the other hand, getting behind a GM vehicle on a steep hill and especiall if it's floored or got a trailer behind it and ...... ewwwwwwww

Our former neighbor purchased a 2015 superduty new. I thought it was a gasser, because there was NO noise when he started it up. Just a little bit of rattle on really cold days, but even that disappeared in a hurry. And no smell.

CowboyBilly9Mile

Charter Member
USA
Okay, Okay, Okay. It was an Abarth. And just because Charlie Sheen sold them.smilietease

Good, now post the pics. Unless there are Bernie freeshit Sanders 2016 stickers on it. :D

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
Couldn't have said it better Ken! :)
but I'll add that the wife dislikes the smell from the exhaust, lol!
I said what smell....:scratch::D
Haha......[emoji33]

Sent from my SM-N915R4 using Tapatalk

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
The comforts are nice, Ken. I purchased a newer vehicle(Can't say what kind :D) to have as a work vehicle/daily driver. I paid cash for it, but I will be reimbursed for mileage when I start work in July. The '78 sits a lot now, which is probably good. When I do drive the '78, it is always a good feeling.
They are nice.....heated/cooled seats, sound, suspension, electronic gadgets, efi, etc......I think for me, as long as I have ps, pb, automatic, AC in the summer, I'm good with everything else.

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
Ken, does the '77 or '79 have cruise control?
Just saw this sorry.....neither of them do.....I don't even use cc on my KR.....be a cool feature I suppose but it wasn't even something I thought of when we drive the 77 from Washington state to Maine.

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
Most of my trips in the '78 are at least 60 miles to get to anywhere, so I really enjoy the cruise. It's factory original, except for the horn pad, and it still works great. I've replaced the cruise pad on the steering wheel once since the horn developed a mind of it's own.

CowboyBilly9Mile

Charter Member
USA
You guys with the modulars and the sticky spark plugs.........story I got ~3-4 years ago, which came from a Ford Engineer on duty at the Ford display at SEMA, was that the original tolerance over that longgggggg length of reach down into the CC allowed for variations that could result in what amounted to, a slightly egg shaped diameter over that section. Obviously with carbon in there, this could cause a sticking problem.

So after learning about this some time ago and theoretically one would assume a revision to the plugs was made, are there still issues when the current version of Motorcraft or Autolite plugs are used?

An update on changing the plugs for my 2001 4.6 Triton.
I ended up getting all new FoMoCo coils online in a factory sealed bag for each coil. Also new Motorcraft plugs. I also bought a few extensions in different lenghts.
I watched a great YouTube video and found/saw that the fuel rails do not need to be removed!
Removing the coil packs was easy for me. Even the back ones. There were two that were in terrible condition! I was getting a slight misfire on damp mornings. With the coils removed, I used an air blow gun nossle with a long tip to blow out any debris before removing the plugs. Plugs were tight but all came out with no issues. Having a telescopic magentic wand made it very easy to remove the plugs from the Modular head.
I took my time and it only took me 6 hours!
What a long overdue tuneup!! Plugs were very worn too.
Mileage is back to 15-17 mpg. Much better performance too!
:)

I bought a 2000 F-150 with the 4.6. The previous owner broke off a coil bolt flush. I changed the plugs and broke off the part that holds the coil down. Any idea would be appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

heavydoc

Instigator
Staff member
WNC
Can you get in with a washer or nut and weld it to the broken bolt?

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Ford Truck Articles