Ford Truck Fanatics  

Home Gallery TOTM New Posts My Threads / My Replies Links Sponsors Calendar Arcade Calculators Fliers
Go Back   Ford Truck Fanatics > F-Series > Generation 6

Generation 6 1973-1979 F100, F150, F250, F350

Old 07-20-2018, 02:41 PM
Tonto Papadapolous

fatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond repute
Recommendations For Rebuilt 2150 Carburetor

Can some recommend a reputable source for a rebuilt 2150 carburetor(351M/400) 1978? I had the carb rebuilt several years ago, and the builder said I was leaking air around the throttle shaft. He polished the shaft and said if there were further issues, then the carb would need to be replaced. Any suggestions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by john112deere
I think the lens of time is required to differentiate between the real milestones, and the detours along the way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrxlh View Post
Strippers, ammo and SKS, wow, that is almost sig worthy!!
Sponsored Links
Old 07-20-2018, 03:50 PM
Super Moderator

Super Moderator

SuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond repute
Time for an upgrade... the 2150 is one of the sorriest carburetors ever to leave Ford
I think reman units are still pretty easily available though

2011 F-150 XLT SuperCrew EcoBoost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin View Post
I have some other options if those don't work.

What's your view on sheep?

Last edited by SuperCab; 07-20-2018 at 03:54 PM.
Old 07-20-2018, 04:58 PM
Tonto Papadapolous

fatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond repute
Suggestions? 4 barrel intake with 570/600 cfm avenger carb? Lots of rebuilts for the 302, but not many available for the 351M/400.

Quote:
I think the lens of time is required to differentiate between the real milestones, and the detours along the way.
Quote:
Old 07-20-2018, 05:21 PM
owned by Fords

dustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond repute
I personally would yank the intake,put a aluminum 4bbl intake, and a holley EFI unit. Especially SINCE YOUR GOING TO KEEP IT WELL PAST THE DAY YOU DIE.
Old 07-20-2018, 08:15 PM
Tonto Papadapolous

Point taken.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 08-02-2018, 02:55 PM

406f150 is on a distinguished road
Kinda late to the party here, but the rebuilt carb that came on the 400 in my '79 F150 has mostly been a headache. I think the guy that I got the truck from said the carb came from O'reilly's so don't get one there. An old mechanic that's pretty sharp said it was setup more for a 302. Still trying to chase down the right main jet to put in it.

The Holley EFI is on my to do list someday when the budget allows.
Old 08-02-2018, 03:56 PM
Tonto Papadapolous

Thank you. I don't know if you are saying you don't know which jet to put in the carb, or you know what size jet and can't find it. If the latter, here is a link for various jets for a 2150 carburetor at about $6.00 each.
http://www.carburetor-parts.com/Auto...Jet_p_175.html

If you don't know what size jet to use, I can gladly pull the jets off of my old carburetor(original to '78 F150 49 state with a motorcraft 2150) and let you know what those numbers are for a starting reference point.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 08-02-2018, 04:14 PM
owned by Fords

dustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond repute
Changing jets is an old school lost science

I had a buddy that used to have a whole box of jets. He'd spend a whole day changing them.
Carb was flawless when he was done.
Just like EFI does now. LOL
Old 08-03-2018, 12:29 PM

406f150 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatherdoug View Post
Thank you. I don't know if you are saying you don't know which jet to put in the carb, or you know what size jet and can't find it. If the latter, here is a link for various jets for a 2150 carburetor at about $6.00 each.
http://www.carburetor-parts.com/Auto...Jet_p_175.html

If you don't know what size jet to use, I can gladly pull the jets off of my old carburetor(original to '78 F150 49 state with a motorcraft 2150) and let you know what those numbers are for a starting reference point.
Thanks for the link! I'm honestly not sure what's in there now since I wasn't the one working on it. The guy said he didn't have the jet size I needed at the time, but put in as close to what was needed out of what he had in his little shop. He thought it needs to be in the 57-58 range. I know it's not getting quite enough fuel from 3/4 to full throttle and falls on it's face a little bit so a larger main is in order. Also has a stumble from the AP circuit if you stab the throttle wide open from low RPM. Guessing it's delivering a bit too much fuel there based on how it acts.

If you don't mind I'd be interested to see what the factory jets are supposed to be. Not sure what makes a truck 49 state legal, but mine has the ported gas tanks, emission system (mostly disconnected), and evidently came from the CA factory since it has the green paint stamp on the firewall.

I'm pretty good at tuning dirt bike, ATV, and snowmobile carbs. I've just never gotten into automotive carbs until now so I don't have the background yet on how the carb is laid out and which circuits are where.
Old 08-03-2018, 02:41 PM
Tonto Papadapolous

I pulled the jets on my 2150 and they have size 57 jets. Hope that helps. Manufactured in California doesn't necessarily mean California required emissions. My truck was also manufactured in California ("R" code in VIN for San Diego), but was sold in Salt Lake City(DSO code 73). Therefore, California emissions did not apply.

Quote:
Quote:

Last edited by fatherdoug; 08-03-2018 at 02:46 PM.