Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Model As

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Anybody got one? Interested in them?

My friend bought one as his first car, when he was 15 ('bout 6-7 years ago, I guess), took it mostly apart, cleaned it up, and put it back together. It never really got quite finished, but he drove it a lot through HS- basically his daily driver. Snow, ice, sub-zero temperatures. He and I drove it to the beach in NH for the weekend once, a little over 100 miles. Had to rebuild the carb before we could go home; guess the salt air caused a little corrosion or something.

Here it is the day he bought it:
Front.jpg

And just over a year later:
driveway1.jpg

'Round the end of HS, the frame cracked at the motor mount just behind the RF wheel. He found another frame, swapped over all the running gear and sent the body out to be done real nice. It should be done soon; he hopes to have the body on the frame by the end of March, and on these old cars, there's not a lot to hook up after that's done. (15 minutes of wiring and a gas can, and you can drive the frame around without the body on it at all- I've done it.)

mtflat

Flatheads Forever
It's on my to-do list. If I find the right one I'd love to drop in one of the flathead V8's. AV8's rock.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Yeah, his is pretty much all original-style: 4-wheel mechanical drum brakes, manual steering, 3-speed crashbox.

It's funny though- the guy he bought it from got him involved in a Model A club, which is comprised almost entirely of old guys (average age is over 70, I believe), and collectively, they all look down on hot-rodding the cars. Probably close to half of them have come up to us, and after telling us how great it is to see young people interested in old cars, whisper that they used to be hot-rodders back when they were young, but don't tell anybody else. :rofl:

89frankenford

Grabber Green Consultant
NH
now thats a very big pimping ride! haha ive always loved those trucks from WAY back when

Yeah, his is pretty much all original-style: 4-wheel mechanical drum brakes, manual steering, 3-speed crashbox.

It's funny though- the guy he bought it from got him involved in a Model A club, which is comprised almost entirely of old guys (average age is over 70, I believe), and collectively, they all look down on hot-rodding the cars. Probably close to half of them have come up to us, and after telling us how great it is to see young people interested in old cars, whisper that they used to be hot-rodders back when they were young, but don't tell anybody else. :rofl:

I understand to an extent. My local car club are all older than I am. The name? Natural State Rod and Custom. I think I am the only relatively stock vehicle in the club. So far...I am the only one who does not have a fancy paint job too. They are all (well almost all) retired and have money.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
In that pic, it's a 20-footer at best.

When it goes together again, though, it should be near show quality.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
He's going to keep driving it, he thinks the same way you do- not worth much if you can't drive it.

But he want all the bodywork straight, at least. Not going for show quality, just nice, clean, and straight.

He's going to keep driving it, he thinks the same way you do- not worth much if you can't drive it.

But he want all the bodywork straight, at least. Not going for show quality, just nice, clean, and straight.

Yeah....someday.....me too. :headbang:

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
You and me both, Brian.

I'm just lucky I get to play with his toys, since I'm not even close to affording ones of my own.

bobf100

I love model A pickups. My favorite is the roadster version but would gladly take either closed cab or roadster. I've got a list in my mind of projects that I would like to build someday - the model A pickup is one of those ideas floating around in my brain.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
The great thing about Model As for drivable restorations, I think, is the availability of parts.

My understanding is that there you could build a complete one from catalogs with the exception of about five parts. Scouring swap meets can be fun, and is still worth it depending on what you need, but being able to just order the small stuff (distributor, ignition switch) or the stuff that's really hard to find good used (radiator) from any of a number of sources.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
That's awesome, Brad. YelloThumbUp

I have never even ridden in something like you guys are posting. I bet it is a lot of fun.

The oldest vehicle I have ridden in was a 36 cheby tudor sedan that my cousin owned. It was all original. Babbet bearing 4 cylinder. Funny sounding engine. Original material on the interior. Worn..but original. I could have shot him when he traded it for a down payment on a house. Grrrrr!!!!

The fenders had some rust on the edges and I was in the process of welding new "flanges" on them. They were not even dented. He came and picked up the fenders from my house after the trade for the guy.

Here is one of the ones I used to ride around in.

HotRodSanataGG3.gif

Ford Truck Articles