Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Timing Question

Okay with the factory timing chain, got the dots lined up. the pointer on the balancer is at 0 TDC started the truck and turned the Distributor to 12 BTDC shut the truck off hooked up the vac advance and the timing looks like its at 30 BTDC its just not making sence to me how the timing can fall back that far.

Could it be a issue with the vac advance.

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
Okay with the factory timing chain, got the dots lined up. the pointer on the balancer is at 0 TDC started the truck and turned the Distributor to 12 BTDC shut the truck off hooked up the vac advance and the timing looks like its at 30 BTDC its just not making sence to me how the timing can fall back that far.

Could it be a issue with the vac advance.

Are you reading the timing with the engine warmed up and rpm @ 650?

If the engine is at high idle, then the vacuum advance is doing it's job and showing more advance.

Are you reading the timing with the engine warmed up and rpm @ 650?

If the engine is at high idle, then the vacuum advance is doing it's job and showing more advance.

Okay then its showing correct, I'm using one of the 2 bbl to 4 bbl adapter plates and the motor idles at 1200 if i bring the idle down to 650 the truck stalls while in gear.
There are no vac leaks.
I haven't bought my new intake yet.

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
1200 rpm is too high.. Needs to be around 700.

If its stalling out at that point timing isn't right or vacuum leak...

And that difference in base timing and advance is normal..

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Ford Power

SuperCab

Staff member
Montana
Okay then its showing correct, I'm using one of the 2 bbl to 4 bbl adapter plates and the motor idles at 1200 if i bring the idle down to 650 the truck stalls while in gear.
There are no vac leaks.
I haven't bought my new intake yet.

How certain are you that there are no vacuum leaks? That sure sounds like one. Should idle 6-700 no problem.

BuzzGun79

Nov.TOTM 2012 / 2012 TOTY
could also be in the 2 to 4 adapter plate..causing the issue...never was a fan of them....had to correct a few that inexperienced individuals put them on their vehicles...your intake is not of 4brl design..and the adapter is giving you an irattic air fuel mixture flow...it wont idle right with that plate on it...

The 2 to 4 adapters don't work period. They were for putting a 2 barrel on a 4 barrel manifold. Them someone got the idea to turn them upside down and put a 4 barrel on a 2 barrel manifold. Which worked after a fashion. You can't make 300 to 750 CFM go down a hole made for 300 CFM maximun. Plus if your using an old adapter its probably warped from being over tightened unevenly. same with the carb, proably warped. stick with the 2barrel till you can upgrade to the manifold. BUT a stock 360 can't use a big 4 barrel. You will over fual!

Well i warmed the truck up, and found a pole to nose it up to while in gear i adjusted the idle. i got it down to 750 in drive and it goes back up to 900 in park. so i am happy with it till i get my new intake.

Ford Truck Articles