Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Not getting fuel

Had to tow the old girl home today, broke down at the gas station.

I got no fuel in the fuel filter,the fuel pump is new, but in the last few days the truck has been hard to start, dieing when i come to a stop, and motor was shaking and missing at idle.

Other then a fuel pump is there some thing else i should look at and test?
if the timing Chain broke on me the fuel pump wouldnt work right?

i could use some ideas and your thoughts.

im assuming ur truck has a mechanical pump on it. i thought they all bolted onto the side of the engine and were run by an extra lobe on the cam. have you checked all of your rubber lines for cracks and or breaks??

bucks77ford

We will Rise Again
Ya, I'd check all your lines. It's also possible that you have a defective fuel pump. If your fuel tank and sender is old, you could have problems there.

im assuming ur truck has a mechanical pump on it. i thought they all bolted onto the side of the engine and were run by an extra lobe on the cam. have you checked all of your rubber lines for cracks and or breaks??

Ya, I'd check all your lines. It's also possible that you have a defective fuel pump. If your fuel tank and sender is old, you could have problems there.

all rubber lines are new, sending unit was cleaned when i put the new gas tank in. so i guess it could be the fuel pump

bucks77ford

We will Rise Again
Ok, then I'd also suspect the fuel pump. You'd expect new to be new, but aftermarket parts are hit and miss with good and bad. Did everything seem to work fine when you first replaced everything?

If you haven't checked the lines yet, I'd still do that even though they are new. One could be loose or kinked somewhere letting the pump loose it's prime and becoming air locked.

Last edited:
Yep fuel pump, before i replaced all the parts in the fuel system, i had a rust issue. ( never would of thought of this ) the rust built up in the fuel pump and clogged it. that also explained the ruff running the last few days. new pump is on and she runs nice and smooth.

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
What was it doing before the new pump and tank?

Could be possible that the old tank rusted and filled the steel line solid.
I had that happen to my 67 mustang.

What was it doing before the new pump and tank?

Could be possible that the old tank rusted and filled the steel line solid.
I had that happen to my 67 mustang.

It ran like garbage before all the new fuel parts. I also need to learn to test drive before i say it runs good. put the pump on it idled great. went to the store and had to tow it back home.

I have Air, Fuel, and Spark. It just don't want to run now, if i can get it started i have to put the peddle to the floor and shakes and misses so bad it barely runs. it also backfires as soon as it shuts down

:headbang: :hammer: :headbang: :hammer: My truck loves me.

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
Time to check for TDC ( top dead center)

Remove the coil wire so it don't start
remove #1 plug
put your finger over the plug hole, and have someone Bump the starter until it blows your finger off the hole

put a plastic soda straw in the spark plug hole, it will sit on top of the piston

use a breaker bar on the big bolt in the damper, and rock it back and fort until the piston is at the top of it's travel.

Look on the damper, the marks should line up to TDC

pull the distributer cap, the rotor should be dead center on #1 post

If you pull the valve cover, the valves to #1 cylinder should be closed (up)

If there are any differences, you may need a timing chain.

if the valves are closed, and the damper is on TDC, you may have the distributer off, or out of adjustment

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
You may also have a vacuum leak. spray carb cleaner all over intake sources while it idles, if the idle raises, you have a vacuum leak

You may also have a vacuum leak. spray carb cleaner all over intake sources while it idles, if the idle raises, you have a vacuum leak

Sounds like it might be a good idea to put a fuel filter before the fuel pump.
Oh wait ,I already have one there.

Cant spray carb cleaner, the truck wont stay running. choke has to be pulled out to full and my foot has to be on the gas peddle to keep it running.

Fuel filter? whats that LOL. everything is new there is nothing to filter out LOL
I go to the special gas station. perfectly clean high grade fuel. at .99 cent a gallon LOL

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
Cant spray carb cleaner, the truck wont stay running. choke has to be pulled out to full and my foot has to be on the gas peddle to keep it running.

You have a serious vacuum leak then. look for a loose carb, main hose off carb or intake, bad brake booster etc. something is sucking more air than the carb can keep up with.

Well I think i found that Serious Vacuum Leak. I just thought i would check the torque on the intake, and found that 3/4 of the bolts were only torqued to 10 lbs. I guess it took some time for it make a leak. So i went and got all new gaskets even for the carb. and i am going to re set the timing along with all this. So after this i hope it is fixed

Ford Truck Articles