Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Will Ford ever bring the Ranger back to us?

The new gen Ranger is almost the same size as the current F150 ...... i'd say what you really want is the 3.2l 5 cyl diesel and six speed manual gearbox they have in them added to the engine options available in the F150 - the torque these engines deliver low down in the rev range is unbelievable which means out here the ranger has a towing rating of 7700 lb and a load rating of 3000lb on the xtra cab.

http://www.ford.co.nz/commercials/all-new-ranger/specifications/spec-data

NEWFIE F-150

son of Steve
The new gen Ranger is almost the same size as the current F150 ...... i'd say what you really want is the 3.2l 5 cyl diesel and six speed manual gearbox they have in them added to the engine options available in the F150 - the torque these engines deliver low down in the rev range is unbelievable which means out here the ranger has a towing rating of 7700 lb and a load rating of 3000lb on the xtra cab.

that drivetrain would be nice. one, and pretty much the only thing i did like about the rangers was the manual trans.

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine

polarbear

just growing older not up
Boring, Oregon
Ford keeps waffling back and forth on this. They'll be watching the Colorado's sales figures closely, since GM is the only manufacturer to field a new entry in this segment.

Here's the issues:

1. The compact/mid sized field is pretty much the Tacoma. Everything else is a side show. In truth, the Tacoma probably wouldn't sell as well as it does if Toyota could design a Tundra that actually sells- but that's another story.

2. A mid size truck comes very close, in price and fuel mileage, to a full size. In Toyota's case, the Tacoma's actual selling price (after inventives) is typically higher than for a comparably equipped Tundra.

3. The full-size is profitable... with a capitol P.

NEWFIE F-150

son of Steve
Ford keeps waffling back and forth on this. They'll be watching the Colorado's sales figures closely, since GM is the only manufacturer to field a new entry in this segment.

Here's the issues:

1. The compact/mid sized field is pretty much the Tacoma. Everything else is a side show. In truth, the Tacoma probably wouldn't sell as well as it does if Toyota could design a Tundra that actually sells- but that's another story.

2. A mid size truck comes very close, in price and fuel mileage, to a full size. In Toyota's case, the Tacoma's actual selling price (after inventives) is typically higher than for a comparably equipped Tundra.

3. The full-size is profitable... with a capitol P.
yup. I really don't miss the ranger. they were just as hard on gas as, if not harder than, many F-150s. defeats the purpose. even getting marginally better....it's hardly worth a little truck with a tiny box and 2 useable seats. their only true advantage was being cheaper to purchase. and IMO that doesn't pay for itself.

as said, the new gen is almost the same size as an F-150. it'd be a waste for them to return to the north american market.

polarbear

just growing older not up
Boring, Oregon
One thing I have learned in the car biz- never say never. Five short years ago, would anyone have believed that the European Ford Transit would succeed the E-Series in the North American market?

(I'm starting to see some on the road up here- good looking rig).

NEWFIE F-150

son of Steve
One thing I have learned in the car biz- never say never. Five short years ago, would anyone have believed that the European Ford Transit would succeed the E-Series in the North American market?

(I'm starting to see some on the road up here- good looking rig).
they're ok....I don't like them honestly but that could be changed with a few styling cues I guess....one thing that really annoys me is the console (dash??) shift.

I'm not saying never, I just think it'd be pointless to bring them back. my dad had an old one years ago now......she ended up 4 colors not including the cap but man she was one tough little F**ker. couldn't kill her, till she rusted in half. my great uncle drives an '07 4.0, and I'll admit she's a good looking decent truck....so I'm not badmouthing them altogether....I just think they outgrew and outlived their original purpose/usefulness. I'll take my F-150s, even the black sheep one I pick on day in day out, any day over the rangers.

hell, I'm pretty sure my good trucks' next buddy will be a superduty.

YES! That is what I want, my two current rides melded together! You listening Ford? Yeah I know I keep my rigs for a long time, oh well, but do you want to lose me to Subaru? Time is running out...

A Ranger that can tow 7700 lbs has a reserved spot in my garage as well as a new Bronco. I hate to say it but I am looking to buy a new Jeep Wranger. Are you listening Ford? I am a Ford retiree.

460Trucker

Has the Cat Scratch Fever
There was talk about a year ago of bringing back the F100, Ford had some concepts they made up as well.

jebadiah04

Rooster Snorkler
I keep hearing bronco is coming back. Probably a load of poopaloops.

However they made the raptor and sold it for way more than It was ever worth. So maybe they will make a 50,000 dollar bronco too. Lol

Ford Truck Articles