Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

The easiest way to tell

Is it true that if you are trying to tell the difference between a d44 and a d60, you can tell by putting a wrench on the diff cover bolts? if 9/16, then d60? I think i heard this somewhere

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Is it true that if you are trying to tell the difference between a d44 and a d60, you can tell by putting a wrench on the diff cover bolts? if 9/16, then d60? I think i heard this somewhere

Yeah...pretty sure you probably heard that from me. I believe the other way is D44's have balljoints...D60's are kingpin.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Not entirely true. Some newer 60's have ball joints.

I figured someone would bust my balls on that...they swapped to ball joints again in 2000 right? I didn't figure he'd be looking for something that new to throw under his rig...but assuming has gotten the best of me before.

The dana 44 diff cover is smaller than the 60 you can tell by just looking at it.

I thought i had seen this before too. Ok, so can we definitively say that putting a wrench on the diff. cover bolts will tell?

UNRULEE

^LARGE carbon footprint^
If you have a f150 you most likely have a d44 they didnt come stock with 60s unless somone put it in. I think the 60s came in some of the f250s but the majoriety were in the f350s.
I know, but the possible is on a truck that is nowhere near stock, so the possibility of it being swapped is there
Without a doubt.

Ok thanks thats the answer i was looking for lol

Ford Truck Articles