Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Axle shafts

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Didn't know where to post this...so I will try here as it will be for the 79 truck.
I have used Strange axles before...many moons ago. I do know about Currie...but I see other companies such as Moser etc....any input on what you guys have used and what has worked best?

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Last edited:

surewhynot

Rep whores make me sick
Florida
I have made axles look strange before. :D

I used Moser axles in my 67 mustang, after twisting a few stock ones. I was happy with the quality/price, but I'm not sure if that helps any, comparing trucks to cars.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
I have made axles look strange before. :D

I used Moser axles in my 67 mustang, after twisting a few stock ones. I was happy with the quality/price, but I'm not sure if that helps any, comparing trucks to cars.

I am not gonna touch that first statement....hehehe...thanks for the response!

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
I have a friend that races a 650 HP Ranger on a 73-79 style truck chassis. He has been having great luck with the Moser and Currie pieces. Runs a 9" and D-44 to keep everything light.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Holy crap man...I'm supposedly as old as dirt..it takes me a minute to read and respond.

Tony's just on his game today...I've never seen him like this, maybe he's sick? I think he's posted more techy stuff today than he has the entire time I've been here. I guess he wants a cookie or something.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
I have a friend that races a 650 HP Ranger on a 73-79 style truck chassis. He has been having great luck with the Moser and Currie pieces. Runs a 9" and D-44 to keep everything light.

Do you know what size/style of tire and what type of traction aid he is using?

Tony's just on his game today...I've never seen him like this, maybe he's sick? I think he's posted more techy stuff today than he has the entire time I've been here. I guess he wants a cookie or something.

Or maybe a tubesteak smothered in underwear [confused]

Runs the 38" and 40" class (Boggers and/or Paddle tires) with the truck... Runs a run of the mill 9" case with a spool. He's blown the pinion out of the third member many times, but rarely do his shafts let go. Runs nitrous as well...

Actually... His dad has a harder time keeping shafts together running D-60/D-70 combos @ 900+HP :D

7823_158085177094_541457094_4079729_6780624_n.jpg

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous

UNRULEE

^LARGE carbon footprint^
I hear that you should stay away from the Yukon (Randy's Ring and Pinion) axleshafts. Cheap price but you get what you pay for.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
I'm thinking it will be either Strange or Moser and I'll use a Detriot Locker in the rear and keep the front open.

UNRULEE

^LARGE carbon footprint^
Could always go with a Detroit Tru Trac in the front. LS livability and no cluctch packs to wear out.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Could always go with a Detroit Tru Trac in the front. LS livability and no cluctch packs to wear out.

I dunno how keen I am on having a front traction aid....the truck is never gonna see a deep mudpit...although as I sit here reflecting on it...I am gonna pull the whole front diff apart for rebuilding and powdercoating...and if I don't do it and want it later, I will kick myself..hmmmm...need to give this more thought...thanks (seriously) for mentioning it Lee.

Last edited:
I dunno how keen I am on having a front traction aid....the truck is never gonna see a deep mudpit...although as I sit here reflecting on it...I am gonna pull the whole front diff apart for rebuilding and powdercoating...and if I don't do it and want it later, I will kick myself..hmmmm...need to give this more thought...thanks (seriously) for mentioning it Lee.

You could also go for a ARB air or OX cable actuated locker. Not good anything but a straight line though!

You won't make a bad decision when choosing between strange and moser. Both are superior pieces.

(strange FTW:D)

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Descision made...Strange axles and Detroit Locker in rear and TrueTrac in front.

Ford Truck Articles