Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

replaced my gen 3 tails with gen 4 tail assy's

racsan

4xford
last year at the local fair some woman parked too close with a extended cab chevrolet and my l.r. tailight assy got cracked. when i went to the junkyard for a replacement, there were no gen 3's with tailights in the bed. i did however find a gen 4 (think it was a '99) with 2 good taillights. and the best thing about them is the backup light is closest to the ground, i can see a bit better backing up at night. was considering a set of driving lights mounted under the back bumper for auxillary back up lights, but i think these made things good enough to not need them. stock tails:
0702101600a.jpg
my "new" gen 4 tails:
41004.jpg

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Huh...I thought they dropped the amber turns in the rear after '97. I know they were gone by '00.

Anyway...looks good- and good tip that they improve visibility some.

Fordzilla80

Ranger Lariat
Narnia
2000 was when they dropped the amber signals. Then in 01 they moved the reverse light to the top. It stayed there until 06, when the reverse light was moved back down to about 2 inches above the bottom of the taillight.

racsan

4xford
why wouldnt they have the backup lamp closest to the bottom? seems it would make sence to have the light closer to where you need it. i did notice a difference between the stock light set and what i have now. i didnt even realize the colors were aranged differntly when i got the newer assemblies, something looked differnt about them but i just didnt put a finger on it until i was walking around the back of the truck and compared them.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
hey john112deere, is your profile picture a fergeson tractor or just a 8N painted grey?

Not sure.

It was an April Fool's joke somebody else stuck on there for me...but I like it, so I haven't changed it back.

Fordzilla80

Ranger Lariat
Narnia
why wouldnt they have the backup lamp closest to the bottom? seems it would make sence to have the light closer to where you need it.

My guess, which is completely out there, is that 1993-2010 has been the "Ranger Taillight Musical Reverse Lamps" era.

In reality, I don't know why the lamps went all the way to the top, except for maybe it was to improve visibility for other drivers.

Ford Truck Articles