Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Information on storing a vehicle outside?

Hello all,

This is not for me. My friend has a 90 ranger that her dad bought new. Long story short it has 188K miles on it now. It runs great (2.9 V6, standard, extended cab, short bed, RWD)

She has never hurt it, but two other people have. It needs most of the front cap replaced and maybe the bed (have not looked that close) and we won't be able to do it until next summer. It is easier to replace than repair most of the time. LOL

She has a family and a car to drive for now. The truck is very sentimental and she does not want to just let it go.

What all do we need to do to it to store it outside for about a year? She has no garage to store it in. I know get the wheels off the ground. I assume some sort of fuel system stabilizer. Disconnect the batery. Cover it well.

What else?

Thanks in advance for the help.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Plug any/all openings where rodents might get in...airbox, tailpipe etc.

Take out the battery, full tank of fuel (to prevent condensation) with stabilizer.

Try to park it over concrete/asphalt if possible, as it'll be drier than grass.

mrxlh

Oilfield Trash
Stigler, OK
Kinda messy, but none the less great for preventing further rust damage. Tanny fluid cut with a tad of diesel sprayed on with a binks washdown gun. Have done this many times in a salt air/water environment with great success. Waukesha also makes a great pickling oil that is non intrusive. It is called nuckel oil. A little in the plug holes, a little in the crankcase. It gives off a vapor to combat moisture. I have seen many engines taken out of service for 2-3 years offshore using this pickling oil and upon inspection before recomissioning no signs of corrosion.

Thanks guys,

Things may have changed slighly (I hope). She had another distributor put in it and is driving it again. I guess sort of as a backup to the car.

I am hoping it won't go in storage now. Then when she brings it down next summer we can start restoring it (body and paint) for her.

That nuckel oil sounds really interesting. That is cool to know about. YelloThumbUp

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts