Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

I got me a topper!!

rsalter66

New York Chapter member
I went and picked up that original ford topper for my 76 f250 4x4 today for $50, cant beat that deal with a stick.
it is missing one of the starburst emblems from one side so if anyone has any please let me know, it is in very good shape, needs a bit of work but not much, the gel coat is not cracked so that is a plus, also if anyone knows where I can get the seal for in between the top and the cab please,"Do Tell" I will take pictures later when its not raining, god I love craigslist!!! later dudes smilietease

There is no seal between the cab and topper.

You can do what I did in the early days of owning my truck and that is find an inflatable one.

The problem with mine was it rubbed the paint away from the body parts shifting around.

rsalter66

New York Chapter member
Well the title was supposed to say "I Got Me a Topper!"
some how I forgot the got?? and yes D that is what I was thinking about is something inflateable, I check JC Whitney
or maybe I could make one with some bicycle inner tubes?

Try an RV place.
They have them for people slide-thru windows from cab to camper.

You could make one from one of those tiny-tot vinyl swimming pools.
Don't know how long it would last though

rsalter66

New York Chapter member
Thank You O'Rattlecan! I do feel better now?
Highhorse78, this topper has a solid window in the front of it, and I have a slider in the back of my cab, so I want to remove the solid from the topper but still have it sealed off from the eliments, then I can open the slider and have access to the bed of the truck, mainly so the kid can climb in and out of it, I was planning on just using the topper in the winter time, but I like the looks of it so I think I might leave it on fulltime? atleast for now

rsalter66

New York Chapter member
I dont know, its in pretty good shape, but I cant get the idea of painting it flat black out of my head?? or maybe I'll camoflauge the whole truck?
I will get some pictures up tomorrow, I am getting ready for the Daddy, Daughter Dance right now

tylstruck

Canadian diisabled Yuppie
Dennis!?! WTF!?! ahha I went to Canadian Tire the other day just to find such a thing to seal my new toolbox. I bought some foam tape strips for it. They also had a vinyl one that was more expensive made especiallly to seal a topper to the box.

rsalter, if you have a copy of that starburst emblem, a sign maker can copy one for you using a vinyl decal print and raise it if needed to. My chrome trim might end up being some vinyl chrome tape.

Tyl

It's actually referred to as the Canopy Compass Emblem

for the reason you see here.

Ford_Canopy_Emblem.jpg

Last edited:

rsalter66

New York Chapter member
Thats funny Big D, I had found that site earlier today and saved it, Thank you!, I think I am going to buy some of that accordian style rubber for the seal? but I might try to make one from some bicycle inner tubes first just to see if I can?? I'm slack jawed and silly that way???

rsalter66

New York Chapter member
here's my topper, not a very flatering angle
Picture092.jpg

any idea what this plate is for on the very top?
Picture093.jpg

Last edited:

TheRoadVirus

High-Steppin' Mo-Sheen
I'm liking your flat black idea. But camo-ing the whole truck would also be sick. Man, the only thing missing on the truck is some bigger tires. :)

rsalter66

New York Chapter member
Yea I'm still on the look out for some I can afford
the tires on it now have a good agressive tread to them but I definitly want to go bigger, I got these at the recycling yard for $100 last week, my tire guy said they look like old military tires?
I also had it alined when I put those tires on and I noticed my gas mileage got alittle better? it was towed out by almost 2"s
I have always wanted to do a camoflauge paint job. I think this might be the one to do it too

tylstruck

You're right that it sure does increase the appearance of the truck.

Tyl

That is for a Vent.. installed on Deluxe canopies.

It appears you got the bottom of the line canopy that sold for about $600.00

The deluxe canopy like the ones I have on both my trucks was $900.00

rsalter66

New York Chapter member
Well La,De,Dah! Mister Big D :nutkick:
that is just fine with me for $50, I am a low budget builder from the word go. anyone can throw good money at a project, but how many people can truly polish a turd:fan:
and I'm just messin with ya Mil1ion, thanks for the info

Last edited:

tylstruck

Is the vent the only difference between both styles?

Is the vent only a mesquito net?

Tyl

Ford Truck Articles