Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Got one of these here things now...

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
I'm getting bad at updating my vehicle purchases! Picked up an 01 Excursion 2wd 5.4 off of my dealer buddy a while back. One owner XLT and it's pretty clean. It's now sporting my current company info (which is going to end up driving me crazy - gotta keep it clean).

11813373_10153263999322284_6213123056892626376_n.jpg

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
yup.. if ya own a detail company ya gotta keep your truck clean as advertizing of your work hehe

I really like the way you've posed the Pic Austin - looks really nice

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
yup.. if ya own a detail company ya gotta keep your truck clean as advertizing of your work hehe

And I can't drive as I normally do. :wasntme:

I really like the way you've posed the Pic Austin - looks really nice

Thanks Mark. That's one of my latest clients after a show.

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
I love your truck! Good luck, Austin. Keep killing it out there. Once you get the "business" side figured out, you'll do really well. Your skills are better than anyone I've ever seen.

Ryan

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
I love your truck! Good luck, Austin. Keep killing it out there. Once you get the "business" side figured out, you'll do really well. Your skills are better than anyone I've ever seen.

Ryan

smilieIagreesmiliewhathesaid

Your skills stem from your love and passion of the industry, which stems from continual learning and so forth....I never had any doubt.....keep up the great work!

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
Hey Austin - speaking of detailing...

We just got a 2010 Taurus that's a little grubby from the previous owner. Nice car, just not super duper clean inside. What 2-3 products would you recommend?

Glass cleaner (tint friendly - no long term discoloring)
leather cleaner
interior plastic cleaner that won't strip print on buttons, etc

I'm not looking to spend a lot, or order online, just stuff I might find at the auto part store.

Ryan

CowboyBilly9Mile

Charter Member
USA
That looks great contrats on your new ride!!!

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Cool Austin, hope the business keeps growing!

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA

Ryan

Thanks Ryan. I'm still learning my hand on the business side, but a recent meetup with a big time detailer in Tennessee has helped me put some numbers in place to track much more than I have in the past.

smilieIagreesmiliewhathesaid

Your skills stem from your love and passion of the industry, which stems from continual learning and so forth....I never had any doubt.....keep up the great work!

Thanks Ken!

Hey Austin - speaking of detailing...

We just got a 2010 Taurus that's a little grubby from the previous owner. Nice car, just not super duper clean inside. What 2-3 products would you recommend?

Glass cleaner (tint friendly - no long term discoloring)
leather cleaner
interior plastic cleaner that won't strip print on buttons, etc

I'm not looking to spend a lot, or order online, just stuff I might find at the auto part store.

Ryan

Glass cleaner is an easy one, I use Stoners foaming cleaner. But you can pretty much use any aerosol foaming glass cleaner - easy to use and very safe.

Plastic and leather cleaners are touchy to me from OTC retailers. Do yourself a favor and just buy this online: http://www.autoality.com/store/pc/C-A-R-Clean-Sheen-p6843.htm#.VcKm2V9Viko

It'll clean basically any non-fabric inside your vehicle and protect it at the same time. Available in gallon for a smidge more. That is my go-to supplier for chemicals, btw. Very reliable and great customer service.

That looks great contrats on your new ride!!!

Thanks Bill!

Cool Austin, hope the business keeps growing!

That makes two of us! smilietease

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
I have a good sized job for you up here right quick :D

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
Only if I can be smuggled across the border!

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
hey Austin...

image_zpsz9dicwqf.jpg

Lil dually requests you come work your magic on her... shes claiming im being a mean owner by not cleaning her while im trying to put her back together..

Fellro

Staff member
Good to hear things are continuing to go well for you. You meet those who have mastered the trade, and treat them properly they will help you learn, as you are finding out. One key rule that I see people not always do it ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS bill or at minimum track product usage per job so you know 1.) when to order product so as to not run out in the middle of a job, and 2.) know how to properly bill the job. Always be aware of your input costs and also account for them in the pricing as well. tools and equipment are something you can't bill by the job really, but need to be paid towards a bit as well, kind of like mileage on a vehicle. And your skills/time need compensated. It was one thing when you were learning, but now while you continue to learn it is safe to say your skills are already good enough to be able to charge appropriately for them. I feel you are like so many of us, we don't realize just how good we have gotten at our chosen professions as we don't have an ego or false image about it and tend to undervalue ourselves. With your passion and attention to detail and high standards, you will continue to rise to the top. Keep it up, you will go far!

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
^^^Agreed. I see a fleet of Excursions traveling across the nation in the near future, or probably Transits.

Ford Truck Articles