Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

460 motor swap

So I see you guys obviously know your 460's. Heres a good one. I have a 1984 ford f250xlt auto extended cab 8ft bed, and that was a plow truck all its life until about three years ago when i bought it. That being said, its been a fantastic mud tuck for a bone stock truck. Well last year i bought a 1979 ford f250 that has been modded to crap. Shes not pretty yet but it has a 400 Cleveland with a 4 speed and its been shortened a lot and has an exoskeleton. I want to put the 460 in this of course. Now I know I need a new flywheel, and potentially motor mounts etc. But my main question is since this is a mud truck, I don't need absolutely anything except to make her run. Does anyone have any advice, and could anyone tell me what I need to keep, and what i can discard. Thank you.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Welcome to the site!
I moved your post to a new thread so you will have more exposure smilieFordlogo

i have been dropping a 1969 429 in my 77. this is what i have learned so far. L and L makes the motor mounts you need. they also have a P/S bracket so you can use your stock ps pump. you will need a rear sump oil pan from a van or truck, and a set of 460 truck manifolds. the stock 400/351 exhaust lines up but it isnt the right diameter. im going to just patch it in till i buy a set of headers

all you need is the right motor mounts and to fix your p/s. there are a few other ways to do this besides the bracket from l and l but there product seem to be the best way to do that

i was told there might be issues with enough space inside the bell housing for proper clutch travel. to fix this you can use a 390 flywheel (if you 460 is internally balanced pre 79 i think) and a diaphragm style clutch. i going to test fit that trans and clutch tomorrow. and drop her in next weekend so i will keep you posted.

Attachments

• IMAG0302.jpg
  • IMAG0337.jpg
  • IMAG0340.jpg
  • IMAG0292.jpg
Last edited:
motor mounts

i dont know if this will work for you. it didnt work for me, but it worked for the late 70's f250 i got this motor from. you can drill and tap the extra mounting boss in the side of the block turn a stock 460 mount sideways.

Attachments

• IMAG0354.jpg

Ford Truck Articles